Chapter 16: Sober.

Brian's POV

That next morning, I woke up to the sound of Jess puking in the bathroom, obviously hungover from the night before. I was worried about how her body would react since she's not used to having any alcohol.

When I heard her throwing up, I immediately got up and went into the kitchen. I got her a glass of water and some aspirin. I knew exactly where she kept them since I was usually the one that needed it.

When I walked back into her bedroom, she was laying up in bed, rubbing her forehead, and groaning in pain.

"You're still here?" she asked, clearly surprised to see me.

"Of course. Did you really think I was just going to leave you like that? Here, take these," I said, handing her the aspirin and water.

"Thanks. And thank you for staying with me," she said.

"Of course. After all the times you've taken care of me when I was drunk, it's the least I could do for you," I told her.

She took the two aspirin I gave her, and leaned back, continuing to rub her head.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

"I'll be fine, it's just a bit of a hangover," she told me.

I knew she would get over the physical effects of the alcohol. But that's not what I was concerned about. I sat down next to her on the bed, so we could have an honest discussion.

"Jess, I'm not talking about the hangover," I told her.

"You want to talk about last night?" she asked me.

"Do you even remember last night?" I asked her.

I wasn't sure how much she remembered from the night before. In particular, if she remembered throwing herself at me.

"Did we... ummm.... Have sex?" she asked me, hesitantly.

"Nooo.... No. Of course not. I could never take advantage of you like that," I reassured her.

"Didn't I take my shirt off?"

"You did. You tried to throw yourself at me," I tried to explain to her. As soon as I said that, her eyes widened.

"OHHH. I remember that now," she told me. My explanation must've brought back her memories of the night.

"And.... You said you were in love with me," I told her.

I decided to just confront her about it, and accept my fate. I was prepared to hear all her excuses, and trying to take back what she said. Of course, she didn't mean it, she was wasted.

"I remember that," Jess told me. She was looking down, unable to look me in the eyes.

"I know you were just drunk and didn't know what you were saying. You didn't mean to..." I started to say before she interrupted me.

"Who said I didn't mean it?"

"Wait... what?" I asked, confused. Was she still drunk?

"I might've been drunk, but I meant what I said," she insisted.

"I... I don't understand."

"Brian, I'm in love with you," she said, finally looking me in the eyes. This time I knew she was completely sober.

I didn't know how to handle it. I've been waiting to hear those words for so long. But I never expected Jess to ever say them. So when she did, I was completely caught off guard.