Chapter 1

There was once a Princess... A Princess of the Moon as they say.

Why? Because she was born during a blue moon. Yes, a blue moon. She was gifted with long, silky, white hair and clear lively blue eyes. She lived a happy and fulfilling childhood with kind and caring parents, the King and Queen of Arcadia.
The peaceful land of Arcadia, a Kingdom of hope and love. A very successful Kingdom in the north, even their people are all successful and living a carefree life.

But among all the peace and happy Kingdom lies a secret, the very same secret that destroys their peace.

A traitor ...

A traitor that started the war, the war that breaks the once United Kingdom into pieces.

After a few years of fighting the enemy succeed.

The poor young Princess is the only one that survived. Her parents, the King and the Queen, both died protecting their daughter.
Only one maid managed to help the Princess escapes and save her from the enemy. They found a small cottage inside a hidden forest, where they started their new life.

Now the young Princess grew into a lovely young lady, strong-willed like her mother and skilled with swords like her father.

"I can't believe it's been a decade since I save you... Princess. "- the old maid said as she observed the Princess from her daily training. Her once black hair now becomes gray proof of her old age. She can't move faster than before nor can do any more chores. Her voice now shakes along with her knees and hands. She's sitting in a rocking chair in front of their small veranda.

"Lanny..."- the Princess whispers, stopping from her tracks. She lowered her wooden sword and drops it to the ground.

Lanny smiles at her, she gazes at the passing clouds before closing her eyes. A fresh breeze flew past them making the Princess' hair sway.

"Ah... the wind seems happy today. It seems a perfect day to rest. Don't you think so, Princess?"- Lanny said with a smile, rocking her chair back and forth.

The Princess tenses up as she walks towards her, sitting on the floor beside her. She stares at Lanny's smiling face, as she opens her eyes to look at the Princess.

Lanny touches the Princess's hands with her shaking ones before saying, "You grew into a lovely young lady, I'm sure your parents are happy and proud. Princess... do you remember their last words to you?".

The Princess's shoulder tenses as she understands what's happening. Her lips are quivering as tears start to form in her eyes. Kneeling on both her knees, she looks up to face Lanny, who is holding both her hands tightly but not enough to hurt her.

"They said ... That I need to stay strong but don't forget to use my h-heart. No matter what happens.... th-they l-love m-me always."- the Princess stutters, her heart throbbing painfully inside her chest, as memories of that day began to surface.

Lanny raises her hand to wipe the Princess's tears. It hurts her to see the Princess like this, but she has no control of everything. The Princess might cry and get hurt but she will move on someday.

"I have always seen you as my daughter. I know you might feel all alone, but... you must remember the people that have loved you. Always remember the happy things in this world. I know one day, one day you will be happy and make a family of your own. But Princess, I'm tired... I need to rest now."- she said while smiling at her.

The moment the Princess heard those words, her shoulder starts shaking uncontrollably. Her tears start falling, biting her lower lip she hugs her tightly.

"Why... w-why do you need to leave m-me? Lanny pl-please... I don't want to be alone."- her voice filled with desperation and loneliness, as she hiccups through her tears.

Lanny caress her hair, patting the Princess in her back, "You know we don't have control over things like this. And besides I have already fulfilled my duty in this life, the only thing I have to do now is to rest my dear. Always remember that I love you ".

The Princess looks at Lanny's face, memorizing every small detail as her tears continue to fall.

Lanny kisses her forehead, gazing one last time at the peaceful sky. With a smile on her lips, she finally closes her eyes. Her breathing slowly slows down... before she breathes her final breath.

The Princess tried to cry quietly but failed, her hands fell by her side while staring at the peaceful look at Lanny's face.

Her body is still shaking, her tears continue to flow as she kisses Lanny's forehead... whispering her last goodbye.

"Rest peacefully Lanny... I love you"-.

•••

Larrissa's POV

"Then what happens? What happened to the Princess? Big sis?"- one of the orphans, Em, asked me.

Even though I've been telling them the same story every night, they still act like they don't know what will happen next.

"Oh come on Em! We already know what happened!"- Milo, a seven-year-old boy, said he is also an orphan.

"Guys... what did I say about fighting?"- I cut them off before they start fighting again.

"We are sorry big sis."- they both said as they sat down once again.

I'm currently reading them the story of the Moon Princess, it's a very beautiful and famous story passed down to generations and generations ever since.
It's about the Moon Princess that once ruled this country, alongside her lover but they were killed a few years after they were crown. There are traitors, that rebelled against them.

But according to the story, the Princess made a promise, that one day she will come back and protect the kingdom once again.

"Big sis! I'm sleepy, can we sleep now?"- a five-year-old girl asks.

"Alright everyone, tuck into your blankets and get some sleep okay?"- I said as I stand up to help them.

"Okay!"- everyone chimes in before they lay down on their sleeping beds.

After I tucked them in and kissed their forehead I turn off the lights and gently close the door.

I sigh as I remember their sleeping position, each of them is sharing the bed with two other kids. But they are still sleeping with a smile on their face.

--

I walk away from their room before heading downstairs, to check if the doors and windows are a lock.

"Ah! Naolin! —er — I mean Larrissa!"- my best friend Phoebe exclaims, I glare at her when she calls me by 'that' name.

"Phoebe, I thought I told you not to call me by 'that' name."- I said as I walk quietly downstairs.

"I'm sorry, it's just... it's a slip of the tongue. "- Phoebe apologized.

It's not like I'm mad at her, just... hearing my name again only reminded me of 'them'.

"It's fine... but please be careful next time okay?"- I answer, we silently walk towards the open window of the living room. The cold breeze of the night makes the leaves of the old tree sway, some are even falling down the ground. Tonight is peaceful as always.

"Anyway, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be sleeping?"- I ask her, as my gaze landed on the bright full moon shining outside. My heart began thumping fast, blurry memories began resurfacing and disappearing at the same time, making my head throb painfully.

"I want to gaze at the moon, isn't it so pretty? We are lucky to be able to see the full beauty of the moon here, huh?"- Phoebe cheerfully commented, not knowing the pain I'm feeling.

I can't help but make a bitter smile on my lips. How annoying... the moon indeed looks so mesmerizing, especially now. I can't help but despite it a little, why do I always feel so connected to you?

"Yeah... we still need to sleep early. We have a lot of things to do tomorrow. "- I answer her while looking away from the bright moon. I can feel its presence seemingly calling to me, which I just ignored as usual as I head back to my office.

Since the orphanage doesn't have enough budget, every staff the orphanage has, which only consists of five people including me. We are all sharing room in the office, laying in small futons for us to sleep. While the children, a total of 30, are all sharing beds and rooms on the second floor.

"I know, don't worry I'll sleep early."- Phoebe whispers, still gazing at the moon.

I nod my head at her although I'm aware she wasn't looking. I open the office door gently, I quietly enter the office before closing it gently again since everyone is already asleep except for us.

--

My best friend Phoebe Forlez is an 18-year-old girl with long, scarlet hair and round clear blue eyes. She's 5'10 tall with a skinny body, pointy nose, and pink full lips. The two of us are managing the old 'Crux
Orphanage For The Poor'. Every orphan we have here are from poor families, which they have no choice but to abandon their child instead to starve them to death.

You see the city we are living in right now is what you called a bottom city.

Yes, the bottom city where the people here are the lowest class of people in this country. Why? Because the government nowadays, they don't care about poor people or the people born from the lowest class.
They made groups for each people, the first class is the royalties. They are the powerful and the richest people including, of course, the government officials.

Next is the middle class, which consists of people with enough money to survive this tainted world.

And lastly, the lowest class, I know it is supposed to be low class but no... they insist on calling them the lowest class. I know what you guys are thinking, do I belong to the lowest class? The answer is no... I don't belong here, in fact, Phoebe also doesn't belong here.

We belong in the first class but... something happened. That's why I'm still searching for answers, for now, we decided to help this rundown orphanage.

Because my name is Larrissa... Naolin doesn't exist anymore at least for now.

---

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* end of chapter *