VIII

Exiting the dropship, my nose is met with the aroma of charcoal and ash filling the air for miles. A wide-eyed, Finn pokes the fire making it bigger and bigger with every touch. I lay my head low, praying that he wouldn't notice my puffy eyes. But yet, my prayers were denied when a voice echoes in the silence of the campgrounds.

'And where do you think you're going?' Finn laughs, but his voice soon drops when he sees my face. 'Have you been crying?'

He walks towards me cautiously, leaves crunching beneath his feet. I hadn't known Finn for long but I knew he would not believe the bullshit story I would tell him.

'It's nothing Finn, I really have to go.' I whisper, continuing to walk towards the gate.

'You can't go out in the woods by yourself! It's dangerous.' he protests. 'At least let someone come with you.'

I turn my heels to look at him, concern oozing from his eyes.

'I would really like to be alone right now.' I say, my voice weak and timid.

'Fine but if you're not back by nightfall, I'm sending out a search party.'

I give him a weak smile, 'Thanks, Finn.' I begin walking towards the makeshift gate, nodding to the two delinquents guarding. They open the gate without question, as I enter the deep woods alone.

Breathing in the dew of the early morning, I observe the nature all around me. Ever since the day we landed, the forest had always been the more peaceful place for me. Leaves crunch behind me, causing me to grab my knife stealthy towards the unknown figure. Bellamy's face grew pale at the sight of my knife.

'Just leave me alone.' I hiss.

'Sorry Sweetheart but it's going to take a lot more than a knife to scare me away.'

'Where's Rebecca?' I scoff, grabbing the map from my back pocket. 'You know what? Never mind baby, I can do this on my own.' I say mocking Rebecca's nickname.

His face grows paler, 'Nothing she said was true.'

I shake my head, my eyes never leaving the map. 'Listen, I don't have time for this. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go collect some seaweed for Jasper.' I push past him, walking knee deep in water. I pick a few bushels of red seaweed entangled with vines and place them gently into my backpack.

Hundreds of birds fly past us as if they are running away from something. Suddenly, yellow fog reaching the clouds grows closer and closer to us.

'Acid fog!' Bellamy yells, he runs grabbing my hand to drag me along. My small hand fit in his large one like a glove. 'There's a bunker a little aways from here. We'll make it.'

I nod, running faster and faster by the second. My heart beats out of my chest as anxiety fizzes through my body. In a matter of seconds, we reach the bunker. Bellamy manages to pry the door open, just in time and we both jump in. The room is dark and stuffy. I pull out a flashlight from my bag and hand it to Bellamy. I slide down the metal wall and sit as we wait out the fog.

'Hell of a way to die.' Bellamy says breaking the silence between us. His voice fizzes in the darkness. I shoot him a confused look as he points to the skeleton a few feet away from me.

'Oh my god.' I scream jumping to my feet. Bellamy chuckles, making room for me to sit next to him. We become silent again, our bodies a few inches apart. Sparks electrocute between us, as we feel each others body heat. I reach over to my backpack and pull out Monty's moonshine, taking a few gulps.

'Woah, take it easy Y/N.' Bellamy warns taking the bottle away from me.

'I don't know how to do that.' I whisper, my eyes meeting with his for a little too long. His face grows soft, and it's impossible for me not fall in love with him more with every breath I take. He takes a swig and tightens the cap on the bottle. There's so much I want to say to him, but my mouth doesn't move.

    I grab the bottle from him again, taking a few more swigs. Tears fill up my eyes again every time I look at him. My heart wants him so badly, but my head refuses to let him know.

'About Rebecca —' Bellamy speaks, his voice low and shaky.

I shake my head, 'I don't want to hear about it. If you're happy, I'm happy too.' My whole body shook as I lied to his face.

'Don't you get it? I'm not happy.' He says looking at the gray ground. I scowl my eyebrows, signaling that I want him to explain. My heart drops at the thought that he was talking about me.

'The Ark is going to kill me when they get down here. Rebecca is a sweet girl but I can't be happy when all I can think about is the Ark.'

'Oh.' I scoff, my voice dropping. I grab the bottle and take a few more swigs before Bellamy grabs the bottle from me.

'Y/N!' Bellamy shouts.

'What? Don't you get it?' I shout back, mocking his last few phrases. 'I'm completely in love with you and you're so blind to it. It kills me to see you with Rebecca. I get it. I'm not pretty like her, I'm awkward and pale. No one would ever love me the way I love you but you know what? I've accepted it. So, I'd appreciate it, if you would stop rubbing your nightly fixes in my face.' I scoff, grabbing the bottle back from him and drinking more.

He stares at me shocked as if he's unable to form words.

I guess the alcohol did give me courage after all.