Chapter 11

I woke up several times through the night, the soreness in my legs radiating through every part of my body. Lucas must have paraded me through almost every square inch of England to be in this much pain. Somehow, I motivated myself just enough to get out of my bed and dress for the day. I rummaged through my various suitcases, becoming increasingly frustrated at the disorganized mess in front of me. 

As excited as I was to move out of the hotel and into a proper home, it did not happen as I had hoped. My original host family, who I should have moved in with soon after my arrival to England, delayed the process due to a recent death in their family. What was, at first, a few days of delay, turned into a complete cancellation. I had no where to go, so I was to spend my days at this hotel until the program decided where I could be placed. But, everything happens for a reason....right? 

After finally dressing myself, and realizing that I was about yo be late for my class, I darted out of the hotel and to the school building. I ran into the classroom with a few minutes to spare, but the eyes that I was welcomed with were not so...well...welcoming. Every student in the room eyed me with a distasteful expression. I had hardly spoken two words to any of my fellow peers, but that apparently did not matter to them. After over-thinking the entire situation, like I normally do, I came to the conclusion that they believed I got special treatment for being associated with Lucas. I showed up late and did not get punished, so of course I must be a stuck up brat who gets whatever she wants. 

Wrong. 

"Now that we have all arrived, let's begin," our professor said to us all. I don't think I had ever been so thrilled to have a teacher begin a class. The staring and silence continued throughout the rest of my day. I ignored them, of course, but couldn't escape their judgmental attitudes no matter where I turned. They whispered to each other, rumors and gossip most likely, but still uncomfortable to be around.  By the time lunch rolled around, I felt as if I was suffocating from the tension in the air. 

"Finally, some peace," I mumbled to myself as I sat down at a small deli across the street from the school. I pulled out my journal and began writing down as much as I could remember from my past few days in England, but I was rudely interrupted by a blonde and her brunette best friend who had no respect for the turkey sandwich in my hand. 

"So, you're the little celebrity stalker from America," the blonde said to me as she sat down in the chair across from me. 

"I don't remember asking you to sit down," I said back. 

"Oh this won't take long. Vanessa, sit," she motioned for her friend to sit next to her. The brunette stumbled over to the table and plopped herself down. 

"Nicole, I really just want a sandwich, can we intimidate her later?" Vanessa stirred. 

"Ya know it's going to make it a lot more difficult for you now that I know the reason behind you distracting me from my turkey," I replied to them both.  "Listen, I tripped, they took a picture, it went viral, and here I am doing my study abroad program. I didn't get to choose where I would end up." 

You could practically see the flames rising from Vanessa platinum hair as she realized that I would not be trampled by her petty games. But, also, I should have realized from my past experience that justifying myself would do me no favors. 

"Just stay out of my way, American trash," she leaned forward to say to me. It was all I could do to keep myself from laughing, and she knew that. Nicole stood up, Vanessa following in the exact same manner seconds later. But Nicole couldn't leave without having the last word. She purposefully tipped over my drink before strutting out of the deli, the brown liquid spilling and dripping all over the chairs across from me. An older woman witnessed the entire encounter and ran over to me with a dish towel in hand. 

"I am so sorry," I said to the woman as I grabbed a wad of paper towels and got on my knees to clean. She bent down next to me and began soaking up the spill with her towel. 

"Those girls do not seem to be very fond of you, young lady," she said. 

"I'm afraid not. Who would have thought that one little incident would cause this much grief," I said to her. 

"I know who you are. You are that American girl who tripped at Mr. Callum's feet," she smiled and pointed to the magazine laying on the front counter. 

"Yes, mam, I am." I sighed.  

"My dear, anyone with eyes can see that it was an accident. There will be those throughout your whole life who will enjoy nothing more than making up stories about you. But you can control how you respond, and you can decide whose words will affect you," she advised. 

"Thank you for your kindness. I needed those words of wisdom much more than you could realize. I must get back to my class, but again I am sorry about the mess," I said once more.

"Don't you worry about it lassie. My door is always open, except for when it's closed...because the deli closes, but you can understand my point," she laughed. I thought it best to ignore Nicole and Vanessa's little stunt as I re-entered the classroom and took my seat. If I was to get through this class successfully, I could not let their immaturity get to me. 

Another few hours of learning passed uneventfully, to my happiness and surprise. When the clock on the far wall struck three, I was the first one out of my seat and out of the building. I started my walk back to the hotel, but only made it a few minutes before I heard my name being shouted. 

"Miss Lizzie!" A voice called after me. I squinted my eyes to look further up the street at the figure that knew my name, and seconds later, James came into view, standing in front of a silver Audi A8.

"James!" I said to him. 

"Ready to go?" he said as he opened the passenger door for me. 

"Go? Go where?" I questioned. 

"Mr. Callum requested your presence after you were finished with class. He asked me to come pick you up. By your face I'm assuming he did not tell you," he replied. 

"He didn't, but for your sake I will do as you ask," I teased. He chuckled and closed the door as I got settled. We drove through the heart of London long enough until I could not recognize any of my surroundings. Without warning, James made a sudden curve to the right, where the road turned to gravel and our path was met with an iron gate. James directed me towards a small remote in the center console, and asked me to push the button at the top left. As I did so, the gate swung open, allowing us to pass through onto another stretch of gravel. 

The sound of the crunching rocks under the tires consumed my hearing as we pulled up to an immaculate house. It was situated on a small hill, with at least three levels, large white columns, and stone detailing on the exterior. My eyes didn't stray from the outside of the house as I fumbled my way out of the car.

"Ah! Thank you for bringing her James," Lucas said as he came out the front door and met us at the bottom of the front steps. I was silent. "Lizzie?"

"Huh? Oh...sorry," I said as I broke my stare. "This house is just...incredible. I've never seen anything like it," I told him. He smiled and turned around to glance at the home. 

"We are very fortunate," he replied. He led me inside the door and into a foyer, which hosted a large crystal chandelier hanging above our heads. After removing my shoes and following him into the living room, I practically fell onto a plush couch placed in the muddle of the room. Lucas sat down beside me and laughed at my innocence. 

"How was your class today? he asked as I put my bag down on the floor beside me. 

"Oh...fine, but let's just stay some people are taking the magazine stories WAY out of proportion," I said with the largest eye roll that I could muster up. "I know I should ignore their comments, but it gets worse every day, Lucas. I could barely think in class today because the staring and whispering was distracting me." Lucas sighed and leaned back into the couch, and almost immediately getting up again with his cell phone in hand. He spent the next twenty minutes in the kitchen with his phone.