Games

Temari sighed as she realized Shikamaru wasn't going to make it to dinner.
"Shikadai come and eat!" She called awaiting her sons footsteps.
Slowly but surely Shikadai's head peaked through the doorway as he made his way to sit.
He mumbled a thanks before setting into his food.
'Where are you Shikamaru?' Temari wondered silently before begrudgingly eating her meal.

Shikamaru made his way through the Nara forest to a small clearing.
Despite the darkness he knew this place rather well.
He sat himself against a tree as he strained his eyes to read the scroll in the pitch blackness.
His hands wavering he made the hand signs slightly fumbling.
Realizing he had no way to tell if anything happened he made a scratch in the ground with his kunai to see if anything would happen.
Feeling slightly more confident he performed the hand signs again hoping for the best.
Checking the scratch in the ground there was no change.
He let out a deep sigh before collecting his things.
He just couldn't do it without studying the scroll more.
This was such a drag. Why did he want to go to so much effort for some guy who he hardly acknowledged before?
It was different when he started caring for Temari.
He was in denial sure, but none the less he could kinda understand her despite how scary she could be.
He just couldn't find the solution to this. Neji had him in a checkmate it seemed and for the first time in a long time, Shikamaru was losing the game.
The game he didn't even know he was playing.