e i g h t

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓—𝚗𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟹—

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓
—𝚗𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟹—

      𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘 the next morning when Melody awoke, her eyes fluttering as a light tap can be heard from the window. The brunette lets out a small groan before sitting up, stretching her arms as she yawns. But as the taps continue, she slowly sinks down, her eyes finding the curtains that covered the closed glass. Now that the girl was fully awake, she wasn't about to get up and see what was trying to get her attention or to get inside.

Melody yanks the comforter up to her chin, her wide eyes finding Frost sleeping heavily on his bed. She hesitates for a moment, before speaking to him. "Frost!" She says in a harsh whisper. "Frost, get up! There's something at the window!"

The white-haired boy twitches his nose, turning over and pulling his pillow over his head at Melody's futile attempts to wake him. But once she started, he knew she wasn't about to stop. "What the hell do you want, Mel?"

"Something is trying to get inside," she frets, her eyebrows furrowed as the tapping continues. "See? There it is again!" The girl flinches as the small sound, a squeak escaping her lips as she yanks the comforter up further. "Frost, go do something! Get the broom and get it away!"

Frost didn't question her persistence of a broom, getting out of bed and rolling his eyes at her fear. Upon parting the curtains, he finds a familiar bird perched on the window sill. Jude cocks his head at Frost, as if to ask what he was waiting on. The boy simply chuckles, propping up the glass to allow Jude inside, before closing and locking it back again. "It was just Jude, Melody. You can come out of hiding now."

Melody hesitantly pulls her head from the blanket, peeking out enough to see that it was, in fact, Jude that was making the noise. She releases a sigh of relief, dropping the comforter and sitting up on her bed once again. "Oh, well . . . "

The white bird chirps at her, planting himself on the bed in front of her. "So you like to rise early, huh? I guess that gives us more time to go find Frost's mother," Melody chuckles, running her fingers along the back of Jude's neck.

"So you're still going for that?" Frost huffs, pulling on his hoodie. "Because I don't agree with your decision. Like I said before— we're already tight on time, we can't drag our feet with things that don't matter."

"I'm not getting anything out of helping you, other than the pleasure of doing it," Melody states firmly, quickly yanking her socks and shoes on, "just let me do this because I want to, okay? The people of Westbrooke will be okay. Most of them have emergency food and supplies in their basements, so they will survive another few hours. The least you can do is spare me a few minutes to look over that book."