09. Truth (part 1)

For the first time in forever, I finally woke up in time to get ready for a job I was confident I'd keep permanently for a little while.

I had my music playing on my phone loudly as I moved around my room. I first used the bathroom by brushing my teeth. I sang along to the music, using my toothbrush as a mic as I brushed my teeth. I could say that I had a good voice when singing, but not when dancing.

I danced my way into my closet when I was finished with the bathroom, and picked out my clothes. I was wearing a bit of an oversized white t-shirt and black jeans with a pair of black converse shoes. I also decided to wear a necklace Janet gave me for my 17th birthday, which was gold with the first letter of my name  'C' as the small pendant.

Since the weather in California was really hot and I sometimes didn't like my hair down, I decided to pull my hair up into a ponytail. I applied some chapstick to my lips and then I was ready with a bright smile on my face.

I walked over to my phone that was on my bed and turned my music off and shoved it into my purse. Walking outside of my room, I spotted Janet sitting down at the dining table, sipping her coffee.

"Bye, Janet," I said with a smile as I walked past her towards the front door.

"Nuh-uh-uh," she tsked at me like I was a child. "You are going nowhere."

"What do you mean?" I asked, stepping away from the door as I crossed my arms over my chest. "I have a job to get to."

"No, you don't," she said and my face dropped almost like a bulldog's droopy face. "I got a text from Angie last night—"

"And what did she say?" I asked, cutting Janet off, wanting her to not beat around the bush.

"She fired you," Janet said flatly, not looking pleased. "She texted me late last night about Bethany puking nonstop for five minutes straight."

I had let out a long, deep sigh as I dropped my purse to the floor without a care that my phone was in there and sat down in one of the chairs by the dining table.

"Who knows? That couldn't have been my fault..." I said, rubbing my aching forehead. Whenever something bad happened—like me getting fired—my head would start to ache and I would just want to go do something to get my mind off it.

"Angie also explained in her text that there seemed to have been an...'irregular eating' order? She said that she left a chart on the fridge, which had the list of food you were to feed Bethany at certain times," Janet said, taking a sip right after. "You didn't do that correctly."

Oh, fuck me, I said to myself angrily, causing my head to ache even more.

"Did you not feed Bethany her food correctly?" she asked, looking at me as if she wanted me to admit the truth... But that wasn't something I liked to do.

"I did," I said awkwardly, looking everywhere but her.

I looked at Janet. She looked at me. Every second, her gaze intensified, making me spill the truth out before I could stop myself.

"I didn't. Okay?" I said with a roll of my eyes. "I mean, I didn't really think that it would be a problem since most people don't eat at certain times unless they're on a diet."

"Well, Bethany's not on a diet and she's not people, but a baby. So, I understand," Janet said and I folded my arms on the table, then rested my head on them.

"Why didn't she just text me instead?" I said, sounding kind of muffled, but Janet seemed to have heard me.

"Maybe she just didn't want to tell you. I don't see the problem in that," she said, and I could tell she wasn't at all on my side as I lifted my head to look at her. "I guess you'll have to start writing your rèsumès."

Rèsumès, meaning the cashier jobs, I thought to myself.

"Yeah, I'll get started on that later," I said, getting up from the chair. I picked up her empty cup of coffee and brought it to the sink.

"Where are you going?" Janet asked me as I walked into my room and back out with a book in hand, not forgetting to grab my purse off the floor.

"Just...out," I told her and before she could reply, I left the apartment.

_

A/N: 

Omg, hi after years of not publishing a chapter of this book in so long! I've been pretty busy writing chapters for my new book coming out next year (2019). It's called 'The Shy Girl Gone Bad'. You can go check it out on my profile. I've published the description!

Anyway, I know this chapter is short and well, that's because this is part one! Part two of this chapter is already published! Go check it out ~