Chapter 7

Erinn

My alarm rang at 5 am and I rolled over ignoring it. What's gonna happen today? I can't possibly go to work. I cancelled my alarm and slept in. I was already a week ahead, I'll just call in sick.

I poured milk over my choco pops as I scrolled through my contacts for Kendra's number. I answered to Kendra, she was my immediate boss and I was not going to take my chances calling Carlos. It rang twice before she picked up. "Ah,Erinn!" she said nonchalantly before I could get any words out. Was she intimidating? Well... "I knew you would call! It's almost 11 and you're not at the CEO's office on your knees," she chuckled coldly ," So what is it Herpes?"

" It's the flu actually-" I fake coughed over the phone.

" Oh, you poor thing, fortunately for you it's not me you have to convince!" She said before the line going dead for a second only to be picked up again.

"Erinn?" I heard Carlos say, " You have one hour to be at your desk!"

"I'm sick!" I said flatly.

"Listen, I don't care if you have a stomach ache or fucking Ebola... BE HERE NOW!!" and with that the line went dead. You know what fuck him! He doesn't own me! I'm my own person!

One hour later:

Oh Shit! I'm gonna get fired! I shrugged on my blazer as I paced around the door. I can't do this I have to go! But if I go Carlos gets the upper hand ... I'm literally shaking. I intertwine my fingers to keep them from trembling. 'Get it together... What's the worst he could do?' I whisper to my reflection on the mirror by the door.

Fuck it! I throw myself on the couch and let my ego embrace me. It's not the end of the world, it's taking a well deserved sick day.

*****

The next day I show up at work as if I didn't ignore my boss' boss direct instruction and endless calls the day before. Walked through the lobby like an unbothered queen without a single care in the world. I made my way to my floor receiving the same weird looks from people. Nothing new... apart from the bimbo at my desk and a box full of my belongings at the door of MY OFFICE! Oh, the nerve of that spoilt brat! I grabbed the box and headed to Carlos' office.

His secretary was very quick to stop me but I pushed her skinny frame away. She thought her mentioning that he's in a meeting would stop me... Ha! Not today cause today I'm unemployed! I could see Paul running towards me but I still headed on increasing my pace. I opened the mahogany door just before Paul could get to me. "MR. HERNANDEZ!" I called as I slammed my box on the ground. "You cruel, manipulative, sadistic, misogynistic piece of sh-" I spat as I walked towards his desk stopping in my step as I spotted an elder figure seated on the couch at the far corner. Carlos smirked as the elder man laughed. Fuck!

" I guess I made it just in time for morning theatrics!" The man laughed as I struggled to bottle in my anger.

"Can I speak to you outside!" I managed to ask . Carlos laughed before shaking his head.

"No!" He sat up, " In fact whatever you have to say you can say in front of my father and Paul!" He sounded amused as he ushered Paul to come in. His father? This day couldn't get any worse. I looked at the old man and immediately saw the resemblance.

"There's no need for this Carlos!" I whispered.

"Actually there is, because I need my dad to see how much I took from him and I need Paul to see who exactly hates me and why!" The amusement in his eyes was hard to miss. Right then I snapped!

"Ok, Carlos!" I dragged as I walked towards him, " I tried to save you the embarrassment but have it your way!" I said as swiped everything off his desk and onto the floor, missing a water bottle which I picked up ,opened and poured on Carlos. Carlos' father laughed as Paul struggled to look professional as he asked Carlos if he should take me down or let me be by the look on his face. I walked towards my box planting my feet securely on the ground with each step in case Paul decided to tackle me to the ground. I grew up with boys, I could take him down. Carlos raised his hand towards Paul. A signal to let me be as I made it out of the building in one piece with my belongings and a painting from his office,yes, I'm big on souvenirs.

***

Sorry for the late update, I'll try harder I promise!