"Okay, assuming it's even partially true, that's the reason why you came back isn't it? Because you wanted to be the one to hand us over to Klaus," Elena asked.

Katherine shut the book putting her hand on the wall using it tp help her stand up as she informed them, "500 years on the run, I figured maybe he'd be willing to strike a deal."

Putting the pieces together Elena asked, "So you got Mason Lockwood to find you the moonstone."

"Right again."

Knowing there had to be more Rowan asked her taking one step forward, "I'm new to this but what else do you needed to break the curse?"

The Pierce girl hummed impressed, "Hmm, look who is getting smarter."

Taking another step Elena said, "It's not just me or the stone, is it? Otherwise that you'd be no reason to trigger Tyler werewolf curse."

"Witches and their spells: so many ingredients, so many people to sacrifice," Katherine replied.

Elena spoke up, "So you need a werewolf."

Still in shock about how long it had take to find one Katherine replied, "Believe it or not, they're hard to come by."

"What else," Rowan pressed still having a gut feeling they needed something more.

"A witch to do the spell. Mine bailed but Bonnie will do just fine," she told them making Rowan pause hearing Bonnie was a witch, and that Tyler was a werewolf.

Stepping closer Elena pressed for more details, "What else?"

Answering without issue Katherine replied flatly, "A vampire."

Knowing what she had done Elena said, "Caroline."

Katherine nodded honestly telling the two girls, "It could have been anyone I suppose but i like the poetry of Caroline."

Aggressiveness in her tone Elena answered, "So you were gonna just hand us all over to be killed?"

"Better you die than I," Katherine answered going deeper into the tunnel leaving the two girls all alone.
____

After a few moments of standing there thinking Rowan grabbed the bottle of blood and bag ready to walk out Elena following behind her. Just as they went to leave Stefan's voice boomed through the tomb, "Rowan! Elena!"

The two girl stopped in their track as the vampire came down the stairs meeting up with them, "Stefan, what are you doing here," asked Elena.

"I could ask you both the same question," he answered looking at the two disapprovingly.

Elena sighed, "Caroline told you."

The younger vampire shook his head, "No, she kept your secret but it didn't take long for me to figure out what was the important that you'd have to keep it from me."

Raising her brows at him Rowan pointed out, "You would've tried to stop us, we needed to know what she knew."

Trying to convince the girls he said, "Listen to me, whatever she said to you is a lie. Do not listen to her. She's a liar, Elena."

Angered by him trying to deny what she knew was true Elena countered, "What if she isn't? You didn't hear what she said!"

"You don't have to worry, I'm not gonna let anything happen to you," he said looking at his girlfriend before adding glancing at Rowan, "Either of you

"That's the problem, you won't but you'll die trying. How's that any better," Elena pointed out.

Rowan scoffed telling him, "You don't even know me...this Klaus wants me and I won't have people's death on my conscious because of it."

Katherine coming back into the picture she said, "There's nothing you can do, Stefan. I haven't even told you the best part of the story. He killed them, my entire family just to get back at me for running," Katherine explained to them her emotions showing for a moment.

Explaining the truth of the situation the twins were in said looking directly at the,, "Whatever you do to escape Klaus, he will get his vengeance on your friends, your family and anyone that you've ever loved. Especially you Rowan, he won't leave Mystic Falls until you go with him."

Rowan took a deep shaky breath at the information as Stefan took hold of his girlfriend telling her, "No, look at me. No, do not listen to her, okay?"

"Always the protector but you must realize that they're doomed," Katherine told them, "There's nothing you can do to stop it unless of course you have this," Katherine said holding up the moonstone.

"What the hell is that," Rowan asked looking at the stone in her hands.

Stefan shook his head, "Oh no, there it is. It's the ultimate lie, isn't it? You spun this whole thing so that we would have to get the stone from you, didn't you?"

Being truthful the vampire told him, "I didn't spin anything, Stefan. It's the truth, it's hard to swallow isn't it?"

Still not believing it he said stepping towards her, "No, let me guess. You want to trade that stone for your freedom, you manipulative, psychotic bitch."

"My freedom," Katherine laughed at the thought before adding on smugly, "That's where you're wrong, Stefan. I don't want my freedom because when Klaus shows up to kill us all and he will, I'll be in the tomb, where no vampire will enter because they can't get out. I'll be the safest psychotic bitch in town."

Katherine glanced at Rowan saying as she turned her back disappearing into the tomb, "Goodbye Rowan, you should probably learn control. You can't protect yourself if you can't all those little voices in your head."

Once she was gone Stefan looked back to the girls who both looked unhinged by the knowledge they were going to die, become a killer, or lose their entire family. Not being able to stay any longer Rowan turned her back running out of the tomb, "Rowan, wait," Elena called out. Ignoring her Rowan continued to run away leaving the couple behind.

rowan's outfit next chapter