The boys came bounding in as Emily and I placed food on the table. They all spoke up at once. I rolled my eyes moving out of there way.

NOVEMBER

Something was weird with Sam and the rest of them. They were keeping a secret, I could tell, something big. I didn't press them but I was becoming more and more suspicious. It was the little things. They were always warm. They were always hungry. There was something there, something I was missing and something I was forgetting.

I shook my head, ignoring my thoughts. I grabbed my phone, checking my messages. I had one from Paul.

Hey, you coming to the rez for Thanksgiving?

I quickly typed a reply.

If Bella gets back to normal, we should be

---

I was getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner, which Bella had elected to miss. I sighed as I glanced in the mirror. I grabbed my phone from my bedside table, unplugging it.

"Come on, Dad," I called out. Charlie revealed himself, popping his head into the hallway from the kitchen.

"I was just grabbing the pie you made," he told. He followed me out of the house, the pie in hand. He passed me the pie and I passed him his keys.

Upon arriving at the rez I was greeted by Paul and Jared.

"Woah, woah, woah, watch the pie," I warned as they moved to hug me.

DECEMBER

Christmas came around and Bella was still in a state. I had left her present by her bed, hoping she'd open it.

It was midday when I finally entered her room to see her sitting where she always does, facing the window, staring. I let out a small sigh.

"Hey, Bells," I greeted, sitting on her bed. "I got you a present," I told her, grabbing the small parcel and holding my hand out for her to take it. She didn't. I frowned, putting it back. "It's meant to help with the heartache," I explained. She didn't say anything.

I left.

I shut the door behind me and made my way down the stairs.

"She's not talking still," I informed Charlie. He sighed, hugging me.

"Thank you for trying," he whispered. "Merry Christmas, Sky."

"Merry Christmas, Dad," I replied.

---

I was down at the reservation, celebrating the new year at a bonfire. I sat alone, watching the fire. I didn't notice as someone sat beside me until she spoke.

"Hey," she greeted. "Sky right?"

"Yeah, hey, Leah right?"

She nodded.

"I saw you sitting alone and thought you could you use some company," she explained.

"You wanna be friends," I teased, nudging her. "And I wanna be friends too."

She smiled shaking her head.

"I think that's the first time I've seen you smile," I admitted. "You're always scowling."

"I think I have a pretty good reason for that," she replied, her tone slightly venomous.

"Really?" I questioned. "What is it?" I blurted. She raised an eyebrow. "Sorry, I'm turning into my sister, you don't have to say."

"I was with Sam, he left me for Emily," she explained, no emotion in her voice.

"Oh."

There was a pause between us.

"I'm going to get another drink," I spoke up. "Want one?"

"Sure, I'll come with."

The party continued and I was getting another drink. I'd left a conversation with Jared, and it got me thinking about everything again. I zoned out as I poured the drink into my cup.

Always warm.

Big appetite.

Hated the Cullens.

The legends. The stories Jake told Bella. The ones she told me.

"Holy shit," I exclaimed, almost dropping my drink.

They're wolves.

Only took me three months to figure it out.