No Girlfriend???

***

It's always snowing here...but...where is here? The snow feels thick as I walk through it making a narrow channel behind myself. The Japanese Larch trees are tall and lost all their leaves as it is winter. The branches are covered in snow and icicles have formed.

The forest I am walking through doesn't ring a bell. I don't know where I am going. A little voice inside my head tells me to walk towards the mountains in the distance but there is nothing but a white world with thick forests full of dead trees.

It is cold. My breath forms a mist as I wrap the small woolen coat I have on around my body. I shiver a little as goose bumps rise on my arms and legs. The breeze starts to pick up and blow straight through my coat and entire body. My vision grows fuzzy and everything starts to spin. It is hard to tell which way is up or down. My legs...they grow tired trying to walk in the snow that now comes up to my knees.

I feel so weak and cold. It isn't long before I fall to the ground and curl up in a ball. Nothing by my coat and slippers are keeping me warm. My eyes slowly close as the breeze picks up again and more snow falls from the grey sky starting to cover me like a blanket.

"Shiro..."

A voice faintly calls my name. I lift my head opening one eye to see where it is coming from. I man stood in the distance...no...a boy, who would be a few years older than me is there.

"Shiro..."

Again that voice calls to me. The boy in the distance grows bigger as they start running towards me. Who is he? My tired little body is ready to give up but with what little strength I have left I keep my eyes open just staring at the boy.

Next thing the boy lifts half my body up and leans me against him. The boy...I can see tears falling down from his eyes. Why is he upset? He embraces me holding to his chest; his warm chest…

***

"Shiro!" I flinch and look at Mr Tanazuki or should I say Akatsuki? "You zoned out Shiro. You okay?" I blink and look around realizing we have made it to the shops already. Time has flew by fast but at the same time it felt slow. I don't even know how long Akatsuki has been trying to get my attention.

"Oh..." I simply say. I wonder how long I was day dreaming for. I sigh and shake my head. "You can wait out here. I'll be ten minutes." I mumble.

"Okay...I guess?" Akatsuki shrugs and sits down on the silver metal bench. I walk in through the automatic glass doors and get a basket from the pile beside the door to help carry the items I need.

As I make my way over to the fresh fruit and vegetable section I pick up a few apples then pause and think for a moment. These weird 'dreams' I've been having aren't making much sense. I don't recognise anyone. Are they just dreams or memories that have been forgotten? I wonder what they mean or what they are trying to tell me. I can go on asking questions to myself but where is this going to get me? Nowhere, I guess.

I sigh and continue picking the food I need and place them in my basket. I walk down all the isles making sure I haven’t forgotten anything before heading over to the check out to pay. It is surprisingly quiet in the supermarket. I expected lots of people to be here on a Saturday morning but the place is almost empty.

Finally the items I picked out are scanned and placed in plastic bags. I pick them up and walk out the automatic doors again. Akatsuki is still sitting on the bench where I left him. He stands up and smiles gently over at me. I walk to him and place the bags down for a moment as they are heavy.

It has been a strange meeting. It must have been maybe coming up to two weeks ago that we met. I was minding my own business sitting in the shade out the back of the school alone when Akatsuki came over and sat next to me. I didn’t talk to him at all except same my name and what year I’m in. After that he became more persistent and annoying trying to get to know me. It was one day when I got really angry and ran away and before I knew it, he stayed over and comforted me. I showed every emotion to him that was bottled up inside. I don't know what it is but Akatsuki is some sort of unique person who can make me talk a little more. I’m surprising myself.

I sigh and look at him silently for a moment. The outside air is cool but not too cold that you would freeze. I’m wearing a light jacket and a scarf as I get cold easy so it's best to dress warm so you don't freeze. Akatsuki is still dressed in his work clothes as he stayed over without bringing anything with him and I also don't have anything that would fit him anyway.

I glance down the street and see that not many people are out today. On the road not many cars drove by. It is like a ghost town. I find it really bizarre.

"So have you finished getting the things you needed?" He smiles more as I look up at him forgetting how tall he is.

"Yes. I should go home now, so should you, to your wife or girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?" He laughs a little and scratches the back of his head. "I don't have one. I'm completely single"

My eyes widen a little. "Single? The girls would love to hear that." I try not to sound so interested but I am so surprised I mean he is quite an attractive young man with strong toned muscles and short brushed hair. He also has a smooth shaved face...not that I take in all those details of course! It's just weird he doesn't have one.

"Really? Well....I guess not many girls catch my eye. I mean the girls are nice just I haven't found the right one if you know what I mean." He smiles a bit nervously or it just looked like a forced smile. It isn't like his usual big bright ones I've seen at school.

“I see..." This conversation is starting to feel a bit awkward. "Umm I should head home now…I've got cold stuff to put in the fridge.”

"Yes of course, well I’ll see you at school, unless you want me to help you carry those home?." He smiles for real now. I look down at the bags on the ground then back up at Akatsuki.

“I'll be fine…thank you." I pick them up in each hand. Luckily they aren't too heavy or I would have had to ask Akatsuki to come and help me home again. With all this help from him I'm going to be spending a long time trying to

"Alright, just get home safely okay?" I frown a little from hearing him say that. That line reminds me of something but it seems to have slipped my mind. This is annoying.

"Yea…Bye." I turn away and start walking down the street on the footpath before I heard Akatsuki yell out to me.

"Shiro, just so you know...I'm always here for you if you need someone." I stop in my tracks but don't turn around. I wonder why he would say something like that. Why does he really care that much for me? I shake my head and continue walking home down the empty street trying not to dwell on his words.