18 - Car Chases

Mrs. Mitchell made her way around the cramped classroom, handing back our chemistry exams. Luke, who was sitting next to me at the lab bench, tapped his pencil impatiently on the edge of the table. Sheila and Mary were seated across the table from us.

"My parents said that if I don't get at least a B, I don't even have to think about the dance," Mary said, "And just when Jared asked too!"

Luke rolled his eyes. "You know you never get anything lower than an A. My parents are gonna hang me by my toenails if I get another C."

Across the room, Elijah flipped through a textbook absentmindedly. It was only his second week in school and he was already bored of it. He didn't even look up as he got his test back and Mrs. Mitchell congratulated him on his perfect score. She was practically gushing with pride.

"I can't believe he's only a freshman and he's in our class," Sheila said quietly. "He's so smart."

"Yeah, he's really something."

Mary turned to Luke and asked, "Is it true you're not going with Lucy to Prom anymore?"

Shocked, he replied, "How the hell do you even hear these things, Mary? Good God. Do you have some kind of deal with the CIA where they let you spy on everyone? Do you know what my mother made me for dinner last night?"

"Well, no—"

"Don't answer him. It's a trick questions," I said. "His mom doesn't cook."

"Someone's being grumpy today," he said teasingly, poking me in the arm with the eraser on his pencil.

"Luke, you poke me one more time and when you sleep tonight, I will—"

We were interrupted by Mrs. Mitchell as she stopped by our table and flipped through the remaining exams. "As usual, well done Mary. And here's Sheila's. And Luke... well, it could be worse, honey."

"Is that good or bad?" he muttered.

"And Aurora, how are you doing lately?" she asked, glancing at my exam and then at me.

"Um. Fine?" I answered, confused.

"I know your home life has been a little," she paused, searching for an appropriate way to say it, "shaken up lately. I'd like to give you a chance to come in for a make-up exam next week. I'm going to ask Elijah if he's willing to tutor you before then. Is that okay with you?"

Elijah perked up at the sound of his name, and he smiled brightly in our direction.

"Oh, that's okay," I said.

She passed back my test with the score facing down and moved on to the next table.

"Wow, what did you get to have her assign you a tutor?" Luke asked, obviously surprised. Before I could even peek at my score, he had already ripped the test from my hands to see for himself. His eyebrows raised and he looked at me. "Were you drunk when you took this test?"

Mary and Sheila glanced over curiously, trying to get a look as well.

I snatched my exam back. "I got a D."

Luke laughed in disbelief. "I never thought I would see this day. I can't wait to tell my mom I got a higher score than Rory on a chem exam. She's going to have a heart attack."

Glaring at him, I said, "I've been busy with stuff so I haven't had time to study."

Sheila smiled sympathetically. "Well, at least you have a re-take?"

"Pity because of my dad."

"Whatever, enough about the exam," Mary said, dismissing our conversation. "What happened with Lucy? I thought you worshipped the ground she walked on?"