The Past Is The Past

Hello my lovely readers, how've you been? Good? Good. Remember, this chappie hasn't been edited so I apologise if there's any grammatical or spelling mistakes.

Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------ (eh, ceebs doing all these little dashes)

River bolted upright on her thin mattress. The nightmare lingering in her mind, disapearing as she became more aware. After a few moment she was able to shake off the bad dream.

It wasn't really a dream, more of a memory per say. One that no matter how much River tried to keep it at the back of her mind it always came back out in her dreams. Watching the children play by the beach from behind a sand dune, dancing at sunset, the boy.... No! River shook her head. The past is the past. No matter how much it hurts all you can do is learn from it and move on. That's exactly what she did.

She peeled back her covers and swung her legs over the side of the bed. River stood up and stretched, hearing her joints crack from lack of movement.

The smell of Amala's delicious breakfast reached her nose. She quickly ran a comb throught her hair and just about ran out of the wagon, almost forgetting her thick coat. It had been getting so cold lately.

The thing about Amala's cooking is that it tastes so good that it's usually gone before you get there. Which is why River tries to get there before everyone else. Luckily for the late sleepers, either Amala or River make a second dish so that they don't miss out.

After pulling on her boots from the base of the steps, River stepped on to the grass which was still covered by the early morning frost. The fire Amala was cooking on was in the centre of a roughly formed circle of wagons. Each and every one of them painted brightly.

"Good morning Amala." River greeted as she perched on one of the several large rocks that surrounded the fire. Amala looked up from turning the makeshift spit which held a slab of rabbit meat and smiled.

"Good morning River," She picked up a wooden plate from beside her foot and handed it to River. "Would you like some breakfast?"

"Do you even have to ask?" Amala chuckled, taking River's plate and pulled out the sharp knife from her belt, slicing off two thick chunks of meat. River groaned.

Without waiting for the meat to cool down she picked up the smallest piece and shoved the entire thing in her mouth. Amala smacked her on the arm and glared at her lack of manners. River swallowed and grinned sheepishly.

"Slow bites River," Amala chided. "We don't want a repeat of you choking on you food."

River grumbled under breath and made a show of picking up her second piece with her thumb and forefinger. She brought the meat slowly to her mouth and took a huge bite out of it. Chewing it carefully she brought her eyes back to Amala who had a strange expression on her face. Somewhere between humour and sadness. By the time River had swallowed however, Amala was laughing and shaking her head.

River took that moment to shove the rest in her mouth which caused her cheeks to buldge out. Amala took one took at her and began laughing madly. What felt like hours, but was really only a few seconds later she finally calmed down.

Amala sighed and stared at River for a long moment. River began to squirm a little under her gaze.

"What?" Amala smiled fondly at her.

"You remind me so much of your mother." River felt a small smile curl her lips. She didn't remember her mother or her father either. The closest thing she had to a mother was Amala though she never let River call her so.

Movement out of the corner of River's eye alerted her to the fact that the rest of the Gypsie's were awake and undoubtably hungry. She looked at Amala with an amused expression.

"I have the strangest feeling that there isn't going to be enough rabbit meat for the entire group." They both glanced at the spit. There was probably only enough left for three or four people. There at least triple that. Plus the men usually ate more than twice the amount of the women.

"It would seem so," Amala mumbled. She looked up at River with a hopeful expression. "River...."

"Yes I can go and shoot something," She handed the plate to Amala and stood up. "Just let me get dressed."

--------------------------------

You like it? Sorry if it's a bit short. Should I make the chapters longer or are fine as they are? Seriously tell me! Please don't be a silent reader and click on that button up the top, it only takes a second :) even if I only get like one or two, it would make my week to know that people actually like my stories. Aaaaand that's enough of me sounding like a desperate idiot :3

It is absolutely FREEZING here. I went down to the beach with my friend on Saturday and in under five minutes I couldn't feel my toes!! Seriously!! It was so cold that the water felt warm! O_o but hey, that's winter for ya :P

VOTE (pretty please?!)

COMMENT

and

FAN!

Also, always take a banana to a party ;)

Bella <3