"If you could have him transported to Mt. Scott Funeral Home, that would be great. We can handle it from there." She answered, and the nurse nodded.

"Sure thing, Ms. Jacobson." She said with a sorrowful smile, then excused herself to help her colleagues transport the body and inform them of the arrangements.

"Come on, mamãe." Georgia insisted, grabbing her mother's shoulders and gingerly guiding her towards the elevator.

--

Antonio squeezed her hand tight as they walked behind the hearse as it pulled up next to the spot where her father would be buried. Her mother walked behind them as well as the rest of the funeral party to say their final goodbyes. Once the cemetery workers got everything set up, the reverend said a verse from the Bible before allowing family and friends to speak on behalf of the newly and dearly departed. Georgia stepped away from the rest of the group and went to stand before them. She had had a speech prepared, but chose not to read from it, but instead say what came from the heart.

"We are gathered here today to celebrate the wonderful life of Miguel Jacobson, a loving son, husband, brother, and father. For those of you who don't know me, I'm his daughter, Georgia." She began, then took in a deep breath and exhaled before continuing on. "When I was seven years old, my family and I moved here to Portland, Oregon from Brazil. It was a tough, long transition, but we made it. Learning English was a struggle, getting a job so I could go to school was a struggle, fitting in was a struggle. We made it happen though. My father and mother ended up making it big in the architecture industry because of how hard they worked. But, although they had the ambition to create the best life possible for us, I was kind of left behind to fend for myself. Now, I won't go into the details, but I did not have the most supportive parents in the world, but I can actually thank them for that. I became independent at a young age, and it had gotten me very far. I actually just recently reconnected with my parents after four years, and things have been amazing. My father was the one who pushed me to pursue my dreams to become a paramedic with the Salt Lake City Fire Department. He was the one who cleared his and my mother's work schedules so they could fly out to France during the World Cup. He went from being a father who was never there to the father I dreamed of having, and I'm glad I have had these past two years with that side of my father. Que Deus tome sua alma em suas mãos e guarde-a. Até nos encontrarmos novamente." By the time she was finished, tears had softly started falling down her cheeks. She rest a hand on his casket and sighed, then walked back towards Antonio and her mothers, who both wrapped their arms around her. The funeral party began walking through to say their final goodbyes before the casket was to be lowered into the group. They led the train of people, resting roses on top of the casket. After everyone went through, they started to lower the casket, which meant the end of the ceremony and people disbanded. Georgia walked arm in arm with Antonio, her head resting on his shoulder as they followed her mother back towards the road where their cars were parked. [May God take his soul in His hands and guard it. Until we meet again.]

"I wish we could stay, mãe, but we have to catch a plane this evening to head back to Utah." Georgia said once they were outside of their vehicle. They were heading to an Italian restaurant for an in memoriam reception. They had drove separately, for Antonio and Georgia's flight was leaving in an hour and a half.

"It's okay, amada. I'm just glad you could come home for this." Mariana responded with tears in her eyes, but a smile was on her face. "I'll see you two in a couple of weeks." She said softly before turning and getting into the front seat of the car. Georgia sighed and watched as her mother left the cemetary, a train of cars following her to head to the restaurant. Antonio wrapped an arm around her and pulled her tight.

"Are you okay?" He asked softly, and she nodded.

"Yeah, I'm okay. He's in a better place now, and I know he'll always be with me." She responded with a small smile. She wrapped her arms around him and the two of them walked towards her car to make their way to the airport. The clouds up above finally started to shed their tears over the gloomy October day, and it fit well. Georgia stared at the grave site as they started to pull away towards the front entrance. Her father would be in her heart forever, even if he could not be there physically.

--

When they arrived back at their home in Salt Lake City, Utah, the mailbox was overflowing and packages were taking up the front porch. She smiled at the gesture, but the pity gifts were not needed. Losing a loved one was part of life, and at that moment, it happened to her. The condolences she received were a soothing gesture, though.

"What are we going to do with everything?" Antonio muttered as they started bringing in all their mail from when they were gone.

"I'm not really sure, to be honest with you. I wasn't expecting any of this." She huffed in response, running her hand through her hair.

"Why don't you go get some rest, I'll take care of it." He suggested, seeing the weariness in her face as she sat down on the arm of the couch.

"Thank you." She said softly, reaching out her hand to grasp his. He squeezed it, and she stood back up, pecking his kiss and walking towards the back of the house. She got to their room and sunk down in the bed, her body exhausted. Just hours ago they were standing outside in the cold saying goodbye to her father. To think that she had to work tomorrow afternoon was preposterous, but she knew that she had to keep going. She and her father had never been super close, but this felt like a bullet wound to the shoulder. Eventually, it would heal, but the scar would still remain. The scar of her father's death would always remain a part of her.

When Antonio finally got all the mail inside, he exhaled a long breath and locked the doors back up and went to join Georgia back in the bedroom. He pushed open the cracked door and entered the room, finding her still dressed in the black dress she wore to the wedding, passed out on the bed. He gave off a light chuckle and pulled her up further on the bed and pulled the duvet over her, and she instantly snuggled down into the warmth. He kicked off his shoes and climbed into bed beside her, wrapping his arm around her. As soon as his head hit the pillow, he felt his eyes droop in exhaustion. He looked down at the sleeping woman beside him and smiled. To think that she had been through so much within the past twenty-two years and to still be standing proud and confident was magnificent.

He could not wait to marry this woman.