five || harbinger

Start from the beginning

Georgia arrived at the firehouse ten minutes before her shift started, seeing the ambulance was already out. That meant she had a little extra time to get ready. She parked her truck and got out, meeting up with Robert as he was walking into the firehouse.

"Evening, Georgia. Ready to go?" He asked, and she nodded.

"Yes sir, always ready to go." She confirmed confidently as they went into the locker room. She went to her locker and opened it, setting her bag on the bench behind her. She sat down for a moment and took a deep breath in before she quickly changed into her dark gray long sleeve shirt with the firehouse emblem and her black work pants. She tucked the cuffs of her pants into her boots and tied them, then tucked the hem of her shirt into her waistband. For now she left her hair down, for she would french braid it once she knew that they a small opening for her to have time to. When she went back out into the meeting area that was adjoined with the kitchen and dining room. Robert handed her a mug of coffee with a small smile, and she took it gratefully in her hands, nodding a thank you as she went and sat down at the dining room table. She let her coffee cool and quickly french braided her hair before the sirens started wailing overhead. She took a deep breath, and by the time she was able to get her first sip of coffee, the bells started going off.

"Truck forty-three, squad fifteen, ambulance eighty-five, battalion twenty-one. Gas main break. 201 Presidents Circle Drive."

"Shit, that's the university." Georgia muttered as she stood up, grabbing her jacket and jogging out to the garage with Cass on her heels. She got in the rig, the keys already in the ignition, and cranked the key, the ambulance starting up instantly. Cass got in the passenger side and she turned on the sirens, the traffic outside coming to a halt. Ambulance eighty-five lead the way to the University of Utah, located half in their region, half in Firehouse Ten's region. When they pulled up, truck twenty-seven was just pulling up with squad four and ambulance sixty-seven pulling up behind it. When they arrived, students were being evacuated quickly but orderly, which made their job easier.

"We're here as stand-by, no need grabbing the ambo-bag." Cass informed before they stepped foot onto the concrete, and she nodded putting her radio over her and getting out of the driver's seat and heading to the back. They opened the doors as their fire fighting counterparts started going to work.

"Forty-three to main, can we get these gas lines shut down right now?" Lieutenant Reyes asked impatiently into his radio.

"We're working on it forty-three. Should be shut down shortly." The operator responded calmly on the other end of the radio.

"Let us know when it's off." Reyes instructed. "Come on, let's go, let's go! Everyone out of the building!" He shouted as he and the rest of his team took their caps off and put on their masks to go through and sweep the building. Both firetrucks and squad trucks prepared to head inside to sweep the area since the hall was so large, and they hoped that they were only doing a sweep and not dragging out anyone with them.

"Keep it moving!" Cruz shouted to the students and faculty as they went inside.

"You have five minutes to sweep this hall. Get in and get out!" Battalion Chief Hawthorne demanded of all the men going in. He was responsible for all twenty of them, and he needed to make sure they all got in and got out safely. "Where are we on getting that gas shut down?" He shouted into his radio.

"Only a few more minutes, Chief." The operator responded quickly, and Jacobson could read the frustration on his face.

"This place doesn't have a few minutes, and neither do my men! Get that gas shut down, now!" He yelled as if it were a warning. There was no response by the operator, figuring it would be better to say nothing until the gas main was off in the area. Students and faculty continued to rush out of the building, but none needed medical attention just yet.