A.L.y

Jordan woke up to see the sun blazing through the glass room that was his home. He had gotten used to the brightness every morning, but he always secretly wished he could go back to the old Victorian style house he grew up in with his family. His family.... Jordan hated thinking about them. He didn't hate them, just the thought about what happened to them in the war.

Jordan's older brother Luke joined the Airforce to help fight against newly joint Korea. Luke died on impact when his plane was shot down. Jordan and his mother and father ran to Canada where they would be safe. But only shortly after, there were nuclear threats from Korea. Jordan had to say goodbye to his parents and moved back to America where there were sky domes.

Sky domes were built to survive impact of explosions. They helped keep radiation out. The people who first built sky domes kept them secret for their family only. But word got out and soon they were mass produced. Sky domes are made out of a new type of glass that you can only see out of. It looks only like a giant grey bulb in the sky with pipes protruding out of the bottom for sewage and water supply. Nobody can leave or enter a sky dome once it is occupied.

This sky dome development is only temporary. When the war finally finished, the owner, Mr. Olson, was going to sell it to buy property for his retirement. But to be completely honest, the way the war was playing out, he would probably be dead by the time it was over.

"A.L.y send a message to Megan." Jordan spoke to the machine that roamed his home. A.L. stood for Automatic Living, they added the "y" so people could call it by a name. Basically A.L.y helps you live, she makes coffee, she makes your bed, etc. Just the little things so you don't have to worry about them.

"Would you like a voice recording or text message?" A.L.y's robot like voice sounded from the bed Jordan had just been sleeping in.

"Voice recording. Please." Jordan poured a cup of coffee from the freshly made pot. A beep sounded from A.L.y and Jordan started speaking. "Hey Megan, just checking in to see how you're doing. Let me know. Hope you're doing well." After three seconds of not speaking, A.L.y sent the message to the girl Jordan knew from high school. Just two years ago they were sitting in a boring English class passing notes.

The last one he passed to her was asking her to go out on a date with him. But just as he finished writing it, the sirens blared outside and every student had to go in the basement. When they stopped, everyone went home and that was when Jordan and his parents decided to move to Canada.

A few minutes later a beep sounded from A.L.y and Megan's voice filled the room. But not in the tone Jordan wanted to here. "Jordan help! Something is wrong with my A.L.y. She's got a needle and it has some liquid in it. She's still allowing me to send messages an..." Megan's voice was cut off. Jordan ran up to his A.L.y and started to hit it.

"No no no! Megan!" Jordan yelled at the top of his lungs. "Megan answer! Finish what you were saying! Megan!" Jordan stopped and looked at A.L.y. She held a needle, with a red liquid inside of it.

"A.L.y what are you doing?" Jordan asked.

"It has been one year since you have moved in. We are programmed to inject this serum into the guest after one year if the war has not ended to make room for other guests. The war has not ended. Goodbye Jordan. It has been nice knowing you." A.L.y rolled up to Jordan and injected the serum in his neck. Jordan went limp and A.L.y swept his body down the trash chute. She then quickly made up the living area and sent a code to the headquarters so that they knew another sky dome was free. And then the next guest was brought up to it.