||

mike, dustin, and lucas, as will's closest friends, knew as well of his love of the night. after everything that had happened with the shadow monster controlling will, each of the three teens had done something with him that was night-themed. 

dustin had taken will out in the middle of a gigantic grassy field and the two friends stargazed. even though they had gone out in the middle of the night, time didn't stop dustin from bringing junk food from his house and a vending machine they had stopped by with them. they ate candies and drank soda as they stared up at the tiny white dots above them. 

once the boys finished the snacks, they got out pencils from their bags and pretended to trace the stars in the sky as if they were dot-to-dot activities. dustin showed will one that was shaped "oddly close to a penis". will had slapped his arm after that. yet, they couldnt hold their laughter in, so as soon as dustin let out a snort they were hugging their sides and rolling around, struggling to breathe. 

lucas had taken will to the local beach. well- it wasn't exactly local- joyce had allowed hopper to drop them off as she had to work. 

it was dark and cool, so the boys shrugged on sweatshirts. will insisted that trudging around the sand in shoes was absolutely impossible, so they discarded their socks and sneakers near the entrance to the paradise and had continued along the shore, not getting too close because "sharks came close to the sand at night". will screamed when lucas had pushed him into the water, pulling the other boy in as soon as his hands grasped his shirt. 

determined to reach the very end of the world, where the sand stopped and the waves didn't crash, lucas and will passed the walking time with a game, substituting the regular clouds with the stars and made all sorts of things with them. one person would connect the stars to make a picture and would give the other hints as to what they saw. most of the time, neither of the boys could guess in even the right direction. 

mike- well, mike hadn't exactly done anything with will yet. he had everything planned and knew just how it was supposed to go, what was supposed to happen, and where. 

all he needed to do was ask joyce a question.