"It was 'cause of the death of his teammate - Rin Nohara." Naruto also briefly explained about the reanimation jutsu since that was how Madara had been initially brought back. The men's eyes widened in horror and disgust; unable to imagine being forced to fight a loved one brought back from death.

The memory continued and the Shinobi Forces were fighting a battle that was no longer tipping in their favor. However Naruto's determination inspired them all to keep fighting. . . that is until the Ten Tails formed dozens of massive tailed beast bombs. There was no way to escape so in a split second decision Memory Naruto connected to the Nine Tail's chakra that he had given to everyone and used his fathers Hiraishin technique to transport everyone away.

As soon as the blonde's feet hit safe ground he fell to his knees with wide eyes.

"Naruto?" it was Sasuke who had been the first courageous enough to inquire. The Hokage and Inoichi watched him closely. He didn't seem crazy anymore for whatever reason. In fact, he seemed now, determined to lend his support. "We got everyone, it's okay."

Naruto's eyes filled with tears. "No. We didn't." he whispered so tenuously. A tear slipped out. Then another. "I couldn't get them. The Kage. I never got a chance to give them," his voice broke as he dissolved into sobs.

The memory quickly changed to Kakashi being named the Sixth Hokage and commander of the forces, Naruto standing at his right side impassively.

Then came the truly horrific ones. The men watched as Naruto saw his comrades fall before him one after the other. Just a series of last words and reports of unknown deaths. The most disturbing of these was when a man named Kiba was put in a genjutsu that made him go mad and perice his own heart with a kunai while Naruto was too far away to stop him.

The names flew by and the memories got darker and more morbid.
Shikamaru - scouting mission gone wrong.
Sakura - chakra exhaustion.
Hinata - run through by the enemies sword.
Sai - taken down by a bomb.
Shino - MIA
Lee - dies after opening all inner gates.
Neji - intercepts blade to save Naruto.
Ten ten - MIA
Choji - chakra exhaustion.
Ino - chakra exhaustion.

Naruto fought through it all, every death made him train harder and longer. Kakashi died and Naruto was named Hokage, and Commander in Chief only shortly after, but only weeks before he saw his village get slaughtered and burned. Raised to ground. He had been away, and returned to see his people reduced to ash. His home, to cinders.

In the final battle they watched as his last comrade - Sasuke Uchiha - died in his arms. Finally, after all his pain, Naruto killed the enemy and was sent back in time.

The walk back to the Nine Tail's cage was silent. As Sarutobi and Inoichi took in the bricked room once more they couldn't suppress shudders as they now knew what lay behind the other gates. They now knew just how much power this man possessed.

Kurama gave Naruto one last sympathetic look before resting his head down and closing his eyes.

"Let's go." Naruto said with a hollow voice of a broken man. Inoichi performed a few hand signs and they were back in the hospital room with the rhythmic beating of the heart monitor being the only sound.

|¤|Ω|¤|

Minato and his team waited patiently as the Hokage and Inoichi went through the strangers memories. With their eyes being closed it was impossible for Minato to decipher how it was going and it was killing him slowly. Even Obito was silent for once.

When the three finally broke apart the mood was immediately solemn. The blonde that looked so much like himself, had emptiness swimmimg in his ocean blue eyes.

"What happened?" asked Obito, disrupting the silence. The blonde called Naruto wouldn't look at the boy and the the other two seemed to be in a state of depression. Was this boy's memories really that bad? Minato asked himself.

"Minato I would like you to meet me in my office. Kakashi, Rin, Obito - you are dismissed. You may leave also Inoichi." the Hokage ordered. They all nodded and left him alone with Naruto. The room filled itself with silence in their absence.

The old man placed an aged hand on Naruto's sholder. "I can't even begin to imagine what you feel. . . I can only hope that you can find some kind of peace one day. I very much appreciate what you've done and I hope you know that you have my complete trust and faith." he spoke gently. Naruto nodded in acceptance of his words but stayed silent.

With nothing else to say the Third left and Naruto was alone. He lay back and tried in vain to keep his tears from spilling over. He stayed that way through the whole night. Naruto figured the Old Man must of had a word with Tsunade because no one came to check on him which he was grateful for. He fell asleep with a damp pillow, just he was going to drift off it started to rain. How fitting, he thought as he let sleep take him. Lull him to peace only so that he may relive his terrors.