CH 18: The Fifth Year (part two)

Depuis le début

While boiling the water Toni heard her phone ring. She rushed to answer.

"Hello?"

"It's me." Darren 

"Hi," she said, shyness present in her voice. She smacked her forehead because of the foolishness.

"Hi," he chuckled, noticing her tone of voice. "I was wondering if it would be okay to get there a few days early."

"Oh...that's fine. This is your house," she smiled.

"We've talked about this," he nearly groaned.

"I know but you do pay for everything. Which I appreciate. That technically makes it your house."

"You're the one living there so no it doesn't."  

"Whatever," she laughed. "Anyway, no, I don't mind if you come a few days early. I'm guessing you're only staying a little while."

"What makes you guess that?"

"You're gonna visit your mom, right? I don't want to hold you hostage if you plan to."

"I was but...I was wondering..."

"What?"

"I want you to come with me."

She nervously laughed, "Are we back in college or something? I don't want to intrude and besides I've never taken the kids on a road trip before."

"They'll be fine. Pop them a few sleeping pills and they'll be out."

"Darren!"

"I'm kidding."

Toni bit her lip at the sound of his laugh and playfully rolled her eyes in defeat. "I'll think about it."

"A friend of mine is coming with me."

"Oh...um. I can fix the pull out couch for th-"

"No that's alright. They're getting a hotel the first night and will meet us at yours when its time to go."

"Complicated but understandable."

"Okay. I'll see you soon."

"Yeah."

***

After taking the kids to her parents' house, Toni had every reason to celebrate. She had a spa appointment; Darren was coming over tonight and her divorce would be finalized tomorrow.

She could finally breathe.

At the spa she had gotten everything waxed, tweezed and cut. Her hair grew a bit and decided on some color along with a cut. (Picture to the right)

Once she was home and dressed in a simple but sexy outfit, she felt like a new person.

Her makeup was light and her attitude was bright.

She had intentions on getting her man back.

***

Toni nearly jumped when the doorbell rang. She quickly fixed her shirt and went to answer the door.

"Hi," she smiled in greeting and opened the door wider for him to come in.

"Hey."

"How was the flight?"

"Long and uncomfortable."

She smiled, "Well the guest bedroom is all fixed up and-"

"Where are the kids?"

"My mom wanted to have them for the night."

"But they're still going to Wilmington, right? My mom wants to see them."