The Princess and the Domme Chapter 1 - One Man Standing

One Man Standing

            It broke his heart a little bit when he sat down over coffee with Olivia and started the inevitable conversation. It was a conversation he’d had with – how many? Five? Six? – girls, all of them fun and kind like Olivia. All of them had looked at him like she was looking now – saddened; angry; unmistakeably relieved.

            “I agree,” she said to him, once he’d given her his little prepared speech. “I can’t do this stuff that you want. I can’t, and I don’t want to. It’s this side of you I fell in love with.”

            She presses a hand briefly to his shirt-covered shoulder, somehow including in the touch his jeans and his five-o’clock shadow. Even the line of his boxers where it showed over the waist-band. All the fully male things about him that she had subtly encouraged from the start.

            He tried to smile at her, and knew that it hadn’t really worked. He wondered if she’d leave, now, without saying anything more. He almost hoped she would.

            She was pulling her bag onto her shoulder when she paused, and looked down at his hand on the table.

            “You can’t... just stop it? Just be, you know, normal? Happy with what we have?”

            All of them had asked him, at one time or another. It made him feel tired, as if he could already feel the effort of pretending. The weariness in packing all those beautiful clothes away and taking on the role of the real man. The one who would dominate her a little bit. Kiss her roughly, and then push her down onto the bed to make normal, forceful love to her before holding her tenderly in his arms.

            No, he couldn’t. He couldn’t do it again. Even for her.

            “Olivia, it’s not that I don’t love you-” Which wasn’t quite true, but he knew he had loved her for a long time before it all started to fragment.

            “I mean, you enjoy the sex, don’t you?” she went on, and he could tell that she was trying not to cry. “It’s not like you can fake it. Is it, Adam? I mean, come on.”

            Knowing he was mimicking her, but trying to do it gently, he said, “I can’t do this stuff that you want. I can’t, and I don’t want to.”

            She was silent for a long time. It was a terrible pause, between two people who had once loved each other but hadn’t been able to hold on to that. He wondered if it hurt her the way it was hurting him; the way it had hurt him every time.

            “I’m sorry,” he said, in the end.

            She nodded, looked up at him with overly bright eyes. “So am I. I’m going to go now. And try not to feel like... like it’s just that you don’t quite want me enough. Though maybe I should think like that. Easier.”

            She stood up, and hitched her bag onto her shoulder again. She was going, really going, and he had to fight an urge to tell her not to. That they could try again.

            “Maybe it is easier,” he said quietly, and wished she’d been able to want him altogether, for everything he was. But twelve years and six heart-breaking relationships had taught him that it was an empty wish.

            He watched the delicate lift of her summer dress as she turned away, and caught the outline of white panties underneath it. And in spite of the heartbreak, it brought a little rush of lust out in him; and a greater rush of envy.

            She let herself out of the coffee shop, and he sat there for a long time in absolute silence, before he rose tiredly to his thirty-year-old feet and said to himself, “Never again. Never, never again.”

_____________

Next chapter will be up really really soon as I know this isn't a sexy one ;) Tomorrow I think. And the next one is really sexy, I promise.