Chapter: 20 Unsettling Expectations

"What is going on with you Liam?" Arden asked softly while rubbing Liam's leg in a comforting way. The cafeteria was loud filled with students chattering away aimlessly. Liam looked around him and noticed some members of the school staff were keeping their eye out. In case anything strange was going to occur.

He didn't answer his mate at first, because his breath got caught in his throat. Liam felt a tantalizing fear crawl up on his small body. His veins were pulsing as he felt the feeling as though he were being watched.

And watched he was he looked away from Arden and turned to the gaze that he felt on his back. And true to his suspicion, his eyes widened in shock. They were here! Members of his old pack were here!

Bryan and Kurt were standing tall their large beefy and muscular frames making them stand out. He turned away before they had a chance to see him. Liam's eyes squeezed shut as he felt bile threaten to build his throat. His hands were shaking as he felt a familiar edge of a panic attack begin to build.

"Babe? Are you ok?" Arden asked softly as his mates strong and calloused hand was placed over his own. He wanted to tell him what's been bothering him so badly. But he didn't want to add more problems to Arden then he was already dealing with.

"This isn't like you...I thought Eamon was your friend." Arden asked gently. Liam was confused by what he meant at first. He tilted his head and realized that he thought he was mad at Eamon. Yes, he was mad at him alright. But him and the problem with his old pack members made him even more irritable.

"He was." Liam bit back glaring at Billy all while trying not to snap at his alpha mate. "Things just changed..." Billy scoffed at that, pushed his chair back and slammed his hands on the table. "Watch it Billy!" Arden growled lowly his hand resting possessively on Liam's leg. Liam shrunk under Billy's gaze, even though he was now a luna he still couldn't fight off his submissive instincts.

Liam didn't understand why he was attracted to Eamon. But he wasn't going to judge.

"Whatever." Billy growled getting up from the table and jogging pass the double swinging doors of the cafeteria.

"What was that about?" Adam chuckled awkwardly making the rest of us glare at him.

"Shut up Adam." Neil warned, making Adam cough into his fist when Neil slapped his back firmly, trying to get rid of the cough.

"Liam, you're worrying me lately you haven't been yourself. Are you sure you're okay?" Should Liam really tell him what's going on? Should Liam really tell him why he's been so much on the edge lately. It doesn't help that he smells that a few members of his old pack has transferred into his school now. It scared him, these were the ones that bullied him, he couldn't tell Arden that he was afraid that he would be ashamed to see how weak his mate really was.
He had to be strong and brave. He couldn't let Bryan or Kurt see how much their sudden appearance affects him. He had to show them that he was different now.

"I'm fine don't worry about it. I feel like I should apologize to Eamon, even though he started everything that's going on between us." Liam confessed to Arden who nodded solemnly. "You know Liam, if something really does happen you need to promise to tell me no matter what. Your my mate, and I love you." Liam felt a blush creep up on his neck but he fought it down.

"Yes alpha." He addressed his mate as he smiled back at him.
"What did we say about calling me by my name? As Luna that is your right."

"Yes Arden."

"Good." He said while pecking his small mate on the cheek.

Liam looked from the corner of his eye to Neil who stiffened when he saw Arden's arm wrapped pretty comfortably around his shoulder. He really needed to talk to Neil he felt bad for practically ditching him after he found Arden as his mate. He also felt horrible at the fact that he pretty much led him on into thinking they could actually end up being together.

The bell let out a piercing wail making the rest of us groan  in protest as we stood up. Collected our trays and deposited them to where they needed to be.

"What class so you have next?" Arden asked while keeping his arm around me.
"Chemistry. The one class we don't have together sadly." Liam said while frowning making him groan in protest.

" I'll meet you after class by your locker okay." Arden reassured Liam as the crowd started to form and separate us. He waved Liam good bye as he pathetically attempted to wave back."

As Liam turned around taking a deep breath, and started walking to class. He remembered that Neil was his lab partner in the class. "Oh no..."  He said dejectedly. He tried to muster what little courage he had and proceeded to walk into the classroom.

"Hello Liam."

"Hello Mills." Liam answered shly, still uncomfortable at the fact that unlike most teachers this one insisted to be called by Mills instead of Mr. Mills. He said that it reminded him about his home town in Alabama where they used to do that sort of thing all the time but now they don't. He lived in California for almost three years now and he still felt like a stranger here because of it. He was a cool dude though.

Liam flinched when some student pushed past him and sat next to their lab partners. He slowly walked towards his table and sat down hesitantly next to Neil.
He didn't even acknowledge him like he usually did. Not even a glance. He felt bad.

"H-hi Neil." He whispered as the class commenced. Neil nodded in his direction but still didn't say anything.

They pulled out their notebooks and began to follow instructions for the lab.

"I-m really s-orry. I didn't tell you e-earlier. I-it just happened." He choked out while he tried to balance an equation. Neil hummed.

"Can you ever forgive me?" He asked. Liam still received no response and he felt weak and tired. He hated feeling that way whenever his mate wasn't around. And now that Bryan and Kurt where here he felt all the confidence in him shrivel up. He felt like that weak omega again. He decided to stop fighting Neil's silence and ignored him too.

When he'll be ready to talk. He'll talk.
It was almost ten minutes into the class when he felt something nudge him. Liam looked down curiously to see that it was a note. He looked up so fast that he almost had a whiplash.

But Neil wasn't looking at him. He was looking at his work. Liam grabbed the noted, unfolded it and carefully looked at the neat penmanship.
It read:

"We need to talk. Can you come with me and Adam back to the farm for a bit. My ma and pa won't stop asking about you. It'll give us a time to catch up with us and them. Or do you need your mate's permission for everything now?"

Liam gulped and couldn't help but notice that the word mate was harshly scribbled compared to the neater letters.

What was he going to do now?