Chapter 10: A Possible Mate

He has a mate, he has a mate, he has a mate!

Liam couldn't stop chanting that phrase over and over again, despite what happened with his 'accidental' run in with the dominant. His heart was soaring and he felt like he was on cloud 9. He didn't care that Liam's mate was a human, he wouldn't care if it were a unicorn, or a dragon, or...okay maybe he did care if it was either of those creatures.

But either way, he was glad that it was Neil. A tiny part of Liam, a very small part tried to say that he only agreed to be his mate out of pity. He couldn't really actually like him like him or truly love him as a true mate would. A human, can fall in and out of love any time, and Liam slighly hated that. Humans, take everything for granted, they never appreciate what they have until its gone. Liam's heart suddenly sank at that, what if Neil only decides to like him for a short time before he finds someone better? Someone stronger than he ever could be.

Liam shook his head to rid himself of these thoughts, Neil did try to reassure him that he did like him. So, even if it was for just awhile, Liam would hang on to that for as long as he could until Neil did find someone else. Where Liam comes from, dominant mates can choose another mate if their sub doesn't please or satisfy him. And Liam doesn't know if he can handle that if Neil decides that he doesn't want him.

And if Neil is his mate, how would it work? Liam is a sub werewolf, a dominant wolf would have to give him the proper mate mark. Neil wasn't a werewolf, and he wasn't technically a dominant either, he would be by human standards though. Unless, Liam could give him the mating mark, but he would be defying the wolf norm. He couldn't go against that, its considered a crime. It was impossible, and he didn't want to face the High Council for that.

Liam shook his head to rid himself of that mental picture.

It almost made him want to go back to his old pack, and beg his alpha back to let him stay. Even if he did have a place to stay among the humans, Liam wouldn't feel entirely happy. He had to feel accepted among his own kind, he wanted a mate that was for definite and not full of what ifs or doubts. It just couldn't possibly work out.

Lost in his thought, Liam continued to walk the empty hallways until he heard muffled sobs coming some where near the corner. He stood frozen on spot and took advantage of his wolf hearing to get a better ear shot of where that sound was coming from. He heard again, and this time it was louder and clearer. It definitely sounded like someone was crying. Ignoring the fact that he had to go to class Liam ran towards the direction of the sound and was suddenly confused when he no longer heard it, instead, all he saw was a giant green garbage can in the corner. Dismissing it as nothing, he was about to shrug it off and walk away until he could have sworn he heard a very low whimper sound. To any human, that sound wouldn't reach their ears, but luckily for him he heard it loud and clear. Liam took careful steps forwards and with shaky hands he started to lift off the lid from the garbage can, and when he did his heart started pounding in fear when his eyes zoomed in and spotted a familiar head of red curls in the trash can.

How could this have happened!? Eamon was just fine a few moments ago!

"Eamon!" Liam gasped, Eamon looked up with red swollen eyes that look tired from crying and shook his head. His head was completely covered in garbage and his clothes were soiled.

"Can you get out?" Liam asked, and Eamon just shook his head numbly in response.

"Hold on! I'm going to go get help!" Liam looked around, trying to see if anybody was around to help him get Eamon out of the trashcan. Despite his wolf strength he was still a sub, and the trash can was still much too heavy for him to just throw on the floor so that his friend could get out. Liam never thought that bullying could also exist in the human world too. He thought that it only happened to subs like him, it made his heart sink just at the thought of his only friend being bullied. But just as quickly as that sadness came, it was fueled by a hot flush of anger that boiled in his veins. He wanted to protect Eamon from whoever was hurting him, he may not be strong enough to defend himself against the dominants but he was stronger than any human.