Seventeen

Christopher

We've been sitting here for about four hours now, waiting on our Princess. Sabrina is dilated to seven, she got an epidural to kill some of the pain. Right now she was sleep while I massaged her legs.

Can't believe I'm about to be a dad.

Our moms, Nicki and my aunt went to help clean up the baby shower and I told them to go change and somebody needed to grab Sabrina's bag and the baby's bag.

I stared at the baby bed sitting across from us with 'Baby Brown' written on the little card. This shit is really happening.

The room door opened and her dad's head popped in. I got nervous as hell. This man probably hates me now.

"How you doing Mr. Jones?" I said.

"Hey Chris. How is she?"

We shook hands.

"She's a little more comfortable. They think the baby will be here around 3 in the morning."

He nodded. "I can't believe my baby is having a baby." His eyes became glossy but he quickly blinked that away.

I looked at Sabrina and smiled but instantly felt like shit again.

"So I hear you two broke up." He said causing my head to fall.

"Yeah."

"Look I'm the last person to be pissed about anybody cheating. I left the woman I loved to go live with some chick that turned out to be a damn nightmare. The only good thing I got out of that was EJ. If I could go back and change it all I would. My daughters mom was amazing but I was being selfish. I lost the greatest thing ever. Sabrina is just like her mom. Hardworking, caring, has a huge heart but not afraid to fuck you up if she has to. Chris you lost a good thing. You'll never be able to replace her, trust me."

"I don't want to replace her but I know it's over. I messed up, for no reason at all. Everything was good we just had a petty argument and I went out and hurt her because I was drunk and stupid. Our wedding was less than two months away, our daughter is coming, things were going right. All I had to do was be faithful, couldn't even do that."

"Focus on being great parents for the baby, that's what's most important now. Let things happen on their own. Don't rush her, don't force her. If y'all are meant for each other she'll come back around. If not then just do great at co-parenting."

I nodded. "Okay."

He moved over to Sabrina's face and kissed her cheek. "I gotta head back to work but I'll most definitely be back when the baby is born."

"Okay."

"Congratulations."

"Thank you."

We shook hands again then he left out. I looked back at Sabrina, she was awake looking over at me.

"Wassup." I said.

"Hi." She looked around the room. "Where's everybody?"

"They went to clean up the baby shower and change, they should be back in a minute. How you feeling?"