Chapter 6 - Always Hope

Start from the beginning

I looked at him, searching for some sign that he too felt the same effect but I found none. Cisco looked out of the window, his muscled body relaxed and moving easily with every breath he took, both of his hands resting on his thighs. I decided to do the same and direct my gaze outside the window.

I had never been so happy to see The Plaza Hotel. The cab started to slow to a stop at the entrance of the grand building so I took some money from my pocket and handed it to the driver. I caught Cisco's look, the annoyed one he always took on when I paid the cab fare. What?

I moved my hand to rest it on the door handle then stopped the motion when Cisco gave me a warning look and a single shake of his head. Oh, he still wants to do that irrational thing. I rolled my eyes and watched him get out of the cab. Anger swelled inside of me. If indeed what he was doing held any rationality and someone tried to harm me then he'd die because of me. I couldn't live with myself knowing I had caused someone's death; Cisco's death.

Looking forward, I caught the arched eyebrow of the cab driver through the rear-view mirror. He seemed amused and questioning.

I shrugged. "He's got his thing with opening doors. Always, the gentleman." I explained, lying, but the driver didn't seem too believing and I didn't blame him. I would have reacted the same way.

At the sound of the door opening, I turned, my eyes landing on the strong bronze hand that was held out for me to take. I took it, feeling that almost stinging heat through the flesh of my palm. Cisco helped me out, giving me a lovely grin that I had to return, and wrapped a single arm protectively around my waist. The hairs on my neck rose but I was thankful for the support because I was feeling a bit lightheaded. Then again I wouldn't have needed the support if he wasn't so bloody close!

In silence, we made it to my floor so that now we were facing my apartment door. Cisco's supporting arm let go of me, making me feel cold, and I watched as he surveyed the area. Then I reached for my key and opened the door.

"Come on." I said and the two of us walked inside. My eyes landed on my mom, noting a difference, as she sat on the couch, covered by a blanket while she watched some television. Her wide eyes, somehow larger, came to us as we entered and she took the remote from her lap to turn of the television.

I walked closer, and smiled at her. "Hi, mom." Just feet away, I could see the differences much clearer. She looked paler than before, if possible, and the soft patchy skin of her eye sockets was a shade of unhealthy purple. Was it possible that she seemed even more sick? Worry trickled my blood.

"Hi, honey, Mr. Medina. Did you two have a nice day?" She asked me and Cisco who was now standing behind me, angled so that I could see him even if he was five feet away. I wanted to roll my eyes at his attempt of professionality and tell him he didn't need it.

"Yes, we did." I replied and saw Cisco nod and smile politely in reply from the corner of my eye. "Are you alright, mom? You seem a bit frail." I surveyed and her answering smile was amused and delicate.

"Do I? I'm fine, sweetie." She objected but I didn't believe her. There was nothing I could do so I just smiled at her.

"How about we watch some T.V together? After I take a quick shower." I offered and she nodded, looking happy. I turned on my heel, catching Cisco's eyes that once again seemed remote and far. Why?

"I'll be back." I said quietly and Cisco nodded, giving me a small smile. Quickly, I went to my room and opened a drawer to chose a pair of pajamas. Right now I felt like relaxing, wearing loose clothing, and having a nice time. I chose a thick black tank top, aiming for modesty even without a bra, and plain pink and flowy pajama pants along with some undies. After a quick shower, I got dressed and dried my hair with just the towel before hastily combing it. Accomplished, I strolled out of my room and into the living room.