Bonding (Koba x Devon)

(Pairing: Koba x Human Oc (Devon))

(Verse: The new reboot movies)

(Setting: Chapter 6, before meeting with Caesar)

It was early in the morning, and Koba had gotten up before anyone else. Opening his eyes, he stared upward at the roof of his large den. He blew out a sigh before getting up, yawning silently before leaving the structure. The day barely having started, he looked around at the relatively quiet camp. His eyes locked onto Devon though, seeing him move toward the horses being kept. Grunting, he lumbered over to the human, growling softly. Devon jumped in surprise, looking over at Koba quickly. "Oh, you scared me! I was going to head out and look for some herbs. I'm running low on a few things."

The bonobo narrowed his eyes, studying the other male. He didn't look like he was going to run away. Looking back to Devon's den, he saw Biscuit munching happily on what looked to be a frog, not ready to go anywhere anytime soon. Huffing, he climbed onto one of the horses, grunting "Go with you."

Devon blinked once, blue gaze staring with a surprised expression. Nodding slowly, he got onto one of the other horses, glancing as Biscuit meowed from where she was. Poor girl. Of only there were some other cats around, then she wouldn't be so alone when Devon went out or was working. He smiled gently as his prized pet before turning his horse to leave the camp, Koba following beside him.

They both made their way out into the forest, Devon slightly ahead due to being the one knowing where they were going. After a short while of traveling, Devon slowed to a stop by a few bushes of some sort of berry. Dismounting his horse, he walked over toward the bush. Koba watched him from atop his horse for a monte before following. The two then stood before the bushes, studying the bright red berries with thick leaves to make up the bush. Devon proceeded to examine each and every berry, only picking certain ones.

Koba furrowed his brow in confusion. Why not just take them all?

"Koba, stop!"

Devon had to lightly swat Koba away as the bonobo just started ripping all the berries off like nothing. He squeaked in worry before looking at the removed berries, checking if the herbs had been damaged or hadn't been ripe for picking. Huffing, he said "The berries have to look a certain way before you can pick them! You can't just yank them off!"

Koba snorted and threw the branch away, causing Devon to yelp. "Those had been good! Ugh, Koba!" The ape watched Devon go looking for the branch. He followed him as he bent down, looking for the branches in the grass and bushes as not to waste perfectly good herbs. Koba watched him bend over a bit, and reached out.

Devon jumped in surprise, feeling Koba grab his behind though his pants. Koba then got a face-full of berry, Devon smacking him with the branch he finally found. It was more of a light tap, but Koba got the point and backed off. He didn't look too happy though, and Devon hesitated. Devon suddenly got an idea. Picking up a berry, he threw it at Koba, who grunted and glared at him.

Devon squeaked in surprise when Koba saw fit in throwing entire clumps of bush at him in return. Little bundles of berries, leaves and branches, but it didn't weigh much so it didn't do anything if they managed to hit him. Koba lazily chased him around until he saw fit in climbing a tree. Devon used the lower branches and spots perfect for grabbing to hoist himself up. He honestly looked clumsy, but Koba didn't comment. Just let him think he was getting away. The human climbed up the tree until he found a nice spot to settle down and sit, looking down at Koba, who looked up in turn. The bonobo stared for a few minutes before deciding to follow. He almost gracefully climbed up the tree, easily reaching Devon within seconds. He didn't pelt him with berries though, simply settling beside him with a deep sigh.

"Do you think I'd ever do anything besides play doctor here?"

Kiba blinked slowly. What else did Devon want to do? He was supposed to be the healer with the weird cat. Looking around, he briefly wondered what Biscuit was up to, but he stopped thinking about it when he felt something against him. Looking over, he saw that Devon had moved to lean against him. Tilting his head, he stared down at him. A moment passed before he leaned over a bit more, sniffing Devon's hair. The human didn't move away, but he felt the shiver. It was slight, but didn't indicate any discomfort.

"What would you want to do if you weren't trying to butt heads with Caesar?"

A grunt was the initial response. Raising his hands, he signed. 'I don't need to think about that.'

Devon shook his head slightly. "You should. What happens if Caesar is no longer a problem of yours? What will you do then?"

Koba huffed, looking away. "Don't know." He glanced for a moment when Devon nuzzled into his shoulder, saying "Well, maybe when this all clears up we can take a little trip somewhere. Doesn't even have to be far. As long as we're away from everyone." Koba grunted. 'We have time alone already. We're alone right now.' Devon laughed gently. "I know, but we could be inturrupted, by problems or other apes. Just the two of us. And Biscuit. We can spend a few days exploring and worrying about ourselves only. No one else."

The human moved back a bit to look up at Koba, who released a deep sigh. "When... this is over. We take trip." The pleased look Devon gave made Koba's chest feel warm. The blonde smiled widely and said "Thank you. I know it'll be great. Hopefully it comes soon enough. You need to stop being so stressed." Devon then leaned up to press a kiss to his cheek. Koba grunted again, and moved to wrap an arm around Devon, keeping him pressed against his body. Devin blushed a bit before managing a shy smile.

The two sat together for a while longer, enjoying each other's presence as well as the view of the forest. And for once, Koba didn't care that much about tearing into Caesar. He was perfectly content with sitting by Devon, allowing that foreign feeling to once again overtake him.