Chapter 10 The Veela's Mate

Start from the beginning

If it hadn't been for his enhanced hearing he would've never caught it. He smirked to himself.

__________________________________________

"So she's definitely the one?"

"I'm fairly certain"

"And you refuse to tell her?"

"I'm trying to use it as a last resort mate."

"Draco, you know what you have to do. You have to be a big boy wizard and talk to her." Blaise said from his spot in the room.

Draco had been swaying back and forth on the seat of his desk catching Blaise up on the events of the day. He finally admitted that Hermione Granger was his mate and they had been brainstorming on their next move. He had the rest of the school year to try to swoon Granger and so far he was doing horribly. According to one of the several books he had on veela. He had to find his mate, have her accept, bond, and mark her during the bond with his elongated fangs that will appear during a heightened state of arousal. The book recommends having a period of time for courtship, but Draco doubted Hermione would take well to courting.

"So you haven't pounced on her yet? Shouldn't you want to with all the hormones?" His friend questioned.

"I still get overstimulated walking the halls, Blaise. With everything else going on, I guess the stress overrode it all. I don't feel like a randy fourth-year around her. So we'll just have to see."

"You also hadn't accepted that part of yourself yet, apparently that is very vital for a maturing veela's development process. You didn't even acknowledge she was your mate till just now. It might be a matter of seconds until you try to ram down that door when she gets here."

Draco gulped. Truth is he had been on edge ever since he left her in the hospital wing. His body was alert to everything around him. Thank merlin he lived with her. Her scent was scattered around the dorm. Even in his room, it lingered on his clothes. He'd have to control himself. Maybe focus on her health rather than her. Confuse the lust for care; he could try that.

He bounced his leg repeatedly waiting. He heard the portrait door open and felt Blaise tense. He eyed him then the door.

"Drake...." Blaise said in a warning. He slowly rose from his bed. "Don't do something you'll regret."

Draco bolted up from the chair and ran toward the door. Blaise shot a spell at him that he dodged easily. It gave Blaise enough time to push the chair in his way and tackle Draco to the floor.

"Let go!" He whisper shouted. "She's my mate I have a right to see her."

"Not gonna let you go. Bad idea."

"Get off or I'll incinerate you." Draco's voice was low and cool.

Blaise waivered and started to stand. "That's still a bad idea Draco. Just relax a little before."

Draco got up and dusted his uniform. "I am just going to check on her." He flashed a sharp grin that sent chills up his spine.

He took a deep breath, trying to regain himself, and headed toward the living room.

_____________________

Hermione set her bag on the floor and hopped onto the couch. She heard the boys' hushed voices upstairs but shrugged it off. She opened the book she had been reading earlier.

"How are you feeling?"

"Jesus Christ Malfoy! When the hell did you come down the stairs?" She exclaimed when Draco suddenly appeared at the back of the couch.