distress

October 7th, 2001

Thomas felt like he was in a different world. He was sitting at a vacant table at Newt's pub, his head in his hands. Newt was all over Alby again, more so than last time. Thomas could have sworn that one of them would soon pass out due to the lack of oxygen they were getting. He didn't think Newt's mouth left Alby's once in the past hour. Things were still weird with Newt but Thomas couldn't be bothered to try and fix it, not now.

Minho was having fun too, drinking and socializing. Teresa still wouldn't speak to him, not since their weird argument. Thomas wasn't even sure why he was at the pub. He surely didn't want to be there. Minho dragged him along, he said he'd been acting weird the past few days. Thomas knew he was right. His parents, the ones who left him as a child, were killing his kind. His parents were murderers. They tried to kill him for fucks sake.

Thomas couldn't get that out of his head, the thought of the people he loved most in the world wanting him dead. The worst part was that he couldn't tell anyone. He wanted to rant, scream, cry just anything to get the emotions out but it was "confidential" so he had to keep quiet. He realized if the other kids knew they'd probably hate him or be skeptical of him. Everything just sucked and Thomas was over it, he wanted to be in his room with his head buried under the pillows. He wanted to turn his brain off and stop existing for a little while.

"You should make up with her." A voice suddenly sounded next to Thomas, making him jump. He relaxed when he realized it was just Minho.

"What are you talking about?"

"Teresa, I know you guys had a fight."

"We didn't have a fight!" Thomas snapped. His patience was thin, he didn't have time to deal with Teresa's moody attitude, he had much bigger things on his plate.

"She told me what happened, that you asked her to lunch then ignored her the whole time."

     "That's not even close to what happened! She invited me!" Thomas felt his face get hot, she invited him to lunch, why would she lie to Minho about that?

     The buff boy sat across from Thomas, leaning his elbows on the table. "You know she likes you right?"

     "What?" Thomas asked, running a hand through his hair.

     "Teresa. She's got a thing for you. You know that right?"

     "I barely know her!" Thomas snapped.

     Minho's expression made it seem like Thomas was getting a warning. "Watch it, Teresa is a great girl."

     "I bet she is." Thomas scoffed as he dropped his head back into his hands.

     "Seriously man, what's up with you lately?" Minho's lips pulled into a hard frown. "You're kinda being an asshole."

     "I told you I didn't want to come out tonight Minho," Thomas replied, keeping his gaze locked on the table top. There was something sticky on it, Thomas assumed it was from a spilled drink.

     "That's no excuse to be a complete dick."

     "Can I just sit here by myself please?" Thomas asked, his voice coming out soft. He didn't want to fight right now, or ever, he just wanted something to make him feel better.

     Minho was quiet for a second before lightly squeezing Thomas' arm. "You're startin to worry me man. What's goin on?"

     "Nothing."

     "Is that nothing like nothing is going on or you're just not gonna tell me what's going on?"

     Thomas let out a breath. "I'm fine Minho. I'm just tired."