Chapter 22: "Jafar's Quest!"

Start from the beginning

"I earned Lady Maader's complete trust. As proof of that, Lady Maader has allowed me to act as her right hand, as her head slave. My current position and way of life are both thanks to Lady Maader... Lady Maader means everything to me." Fatima says.

[LATER]

"She's really pretty!" A little girl says.

"Yeah." Masrur says as he stares up at Annalise, "Hey, what's with your pink hair?" Annalise doesn't reply. She just stares blankly as the children.

"Masrur! Pick us up!" Some kids say as they sit on a pile of rocks. Masrur picks them up with ease.

"Masrur is amazing, huh?! He can lift up this big heavy thing and he can fight against adults and... is there some kind of secret to that red hair? Hey, Hey, Masrur!" The kids say.

"It's because he's a Fanalis." Annalise finally says. It sounded hoarse as she hadn't spoken in weeks.

"Yeah, I'm from the Dark Continent." Masrur says, "How did you know that?"

"I'm one too." Annalise says, "I was born on the Dark Continent. Taken from my home when I was just an infant. Sold when I was two... to a man who forced me to work. At that time... I wasn't valued as much."

"Hey, come here a minute." Fatima says as he grabs Annalise and Sinbad and drags them away.

[Meanwhile]

Jafar sat in front of the King of Balbadd. Rashid listens to everything he says before he closes his eyes and lets out a sigh.

"I understand the situation. He ran off and did something rash, didn't he?" Rashid asks.

"That's because Reim has a country that has prospered thanks to the existence of slaves." Jafar explains.

"The company has flourished because of the fact that slavery is an institution in Reim. If the Balbadd Royal Family was to Intervene, it would become an International incident. It would damage the friendly relations between the two countries." Rashid says.

"We mustn't interfere, King Rashid." His advisor/guard says.

"That's right. There's nothing we can do." Rashid says.

"P-Please somehow! We're not asking for help on a national level! Please just give us your advice as a merchant!" Jafar says.

"I can't." Rashid says, "No matter what kind of advice I give you, if they find out and tie it back to Balbadd, it will still be considered International Interference. You understand that, don't you?"

'That... can't be...' Jafar's thoughts say, 'Sinbad and Annalise... they introduced me to everyone... They gave me a place to belong. They taught me that there is light in the world. How have I grown?! How am I good follower?! I haven't changed at all, have I?' Jafar begins to cry at the thought of being unable to save Sinbad and Annalise as they appear like ghosts smiling and holding their hands out for him.

'I can't save someone so important to me like them...' Jafar's thoughts say.

"Not so fast, boy. I didn't say I'd given up on anything." Rashid says and Jafar looks up in shock.

"Your majesty!" His guards say.

"W-Wait a minute! Please! We can't interfere!" One says.

"That is right. Because it would be an international incident. However, Rashid Saluja, King of Balbadd is only visiting here in Remano on his foreign travels. I'm not taking part in diplomatic activities and official business during every moment of the day. I have time to walk around the city and sit down and enjoy my meals. In other words, I have at least that much freedom." Rashid says.

"Huh?" Jafar asks.

"Jafar... Let me say this once more. I can't help Sindria Trading company as the King of Balbadd. However, I can take the time to sit down and talk with a friend like this. Especially if that friend is you, one of the followers of my sword friends, Sinbad and Annalise. But, I won't give advice or take action. I'll leave it up to you to decide how we spend our time together." Rashid says, "So, for example, we could do something like... just sit here and have tea like this." He holds up his glass and grins at Jafar.

"Let's have tea again. I'll leave the arrangements up to you." Rashid says before he sees himself out.

'King Rashid... I'm not sure what he meant, but that was surely some kind of important hint... I must take this information back to the company.' Jafar's thoughts say as he stands outside the door.

[Meanwhile]

"Hey! Straighten up a little. You're going to make me look bad, too!" Fatima says and Sinbad stands up straight while Annalise already was. Annalise looks up at him with blank eyes.

"Listen up! Starting today, you'll betrained on how to do my job. For some reason, she wants you both... You two arenow the assistants to the head slave. Be happy! Also, those clothes you are nowwearing are only given to slaves with official positions. So you two bettertake good care of them." Fatima says.