Foster-Keefe Moment from "Fix Me, Foster"

A/N This is a small part of Chapter 8 from Fix Me, Foster which can be read right now.

     After Biana and Dex had left, it was just Sophie and Keefe in her room. They had tired of brainstorming, the looming possibilities taking a toll on their mental state, so Sophie was sitting silently on her bed as Keefe doodled on a pad of paper.

"Keefe?" Sophie finally broke the silence.

"Yes, Sophie?" Keefe replied, looking up from his pad of paper.

What Sophie really wanted to say was 'I'm scared,' but instead it came out as, "What are you drawing?"

Keefe glanced back at his drawing shyly before ripping the page out and handing it Sophie. "It's you," he mumbled, avoiding eye-contact.

Sophie marveled at the drawing, in shock that anyone could ever draw something so beautiful, and she was in shock that anyone could view her so beautifully. When she looked at the drawing, she could tell Keefe had paid close attention to all the small details of her face, like the angle she held her head at, and exactly where her hair was parted.

"You drew this just now?" Sophie questioned, a little breathless, for reasons she couldn't explain.

"Yeah. If you want, I can go home and add detail and color and I could – "

"No, Keefe," Sophie interrupted, "I like it as it is."

"What did you really want to say?" Keefe asked.

Sophie stared at him in disbelief, wondering how he was able to conclude that she wanted to say something else. Sophie cursed herself for being so stupid when she heard the words in Keefe's cocky I-can't-believe-you-keep-forgetting voice. "Empath, remember?"

Keefe's mouth hung open. Sophie's did the same. She could've sworn she had said those exact same words. "Did I just?"

"Mimic me? It seems so." Keefe smirked, sending the blood rushing into Sophie's cheeks. "Should've known I'd be the first person you would be able to mimic."

Sophie rolled her eyes, and her expression turned serious, sucking all the laughter and light feeling out of their conversation.

"You want to know what's up?" she asked.

"Yeah, I do."

"I'm scared," she whispered.

"I know," Keefe breathed in return.

He made his way to the side of her bed, and when he wasn't pushed away, he hopped onto the bed, pulling Sophie towards him, wrapping comforting arms around her shoulders. He was so close. They were so, so close. Before her heart had the chance to slip into hummingbird mode, she felt Keefe's body shake.