xix. Scotties and Slow Dances

Start from the beginning

"You can't be serious, right?" He laughed, his eyes crinkling shut from how hard he was racked with laughs. "That's only Eli's Scottish terrier!" I blushed in embarressment, watching as Zayn called to the dog who now jumped on the sheets, shining little eyes full of excitement as its tail wagged back and forth.

"Hey boy, it's been a while since I've seen you." Zayn smiled, pulling the terrier closer to him and beginning to pet him. I stayed perfectly fine where I was, not making a move towards the dog. I was never really a pet person, my parents never bothering to get a dog in fear that it would mess up the house or try and hurt me. Zayn released the dog, and I squealed as it immediately ran over to me, sniffing my face and licking my cheek. I felt the dog being pulled away as Zayn looked a little frazzled.

"Not a dog person?" he asked, the small dog now trying to jump all over him.

"Not really an anything person. I never had a pet." I explained, my arms folded around myself. Zayn nodded in understanding before turning his attention back to the dog, petting him and playing with him.

Needless to say, the door opening swiftly was quite unexpected. A frazzled Erica rushed in, another Scottish terrier in her arms. Her eyes were wide as she saw Zayn and I, but they soon fixed upon the other little dog Zayn was petting.

"There you are!" Erica spoke to it, the little terrier's tail ceasing to move. It barked at the other dog in Erica's arms, both of them barking at each other for a few moments before Erica slowly started creeping towards the dog on the bed. Her movements were slow and calculated, and quite funny to watch. She was treating the dog like it was a dangerous animal, not just a cute little puppy.

Needless to say, Erica had almost managed to grab the other dog until she said the words "It's bath time."

Upon hearing that, both dogs perked up and escaped, the one in Erica's arms jumping out and following its counterpart in racing down the hallway.

"No no no! Come back here!" Erica yelled down the hallway, Zayn breaking into laughter as the dogs barked back in reply, the sound of paws and nails on wooden floors leaving a faint clue as to where they could have gone. Erica gave a frustrated huff, placing her hands on her hips. She must have just gotten up, a t-shirt and running shorts all she was wearing, her wild curly hair being pulled back into a haphazard bun.

"I almost had them. They probably ran off to Eli, he always babies them." She groaned, Zayn taking amusement in her frustration.

"Need some help?" Zayn offered, Erica nodding as she rubbed her temples.

"Please. Those two need to be bathed and groomed before the gala tonight."

A pleasant laugh echoed through the halls as both Zayn and I got out of bed, fully prepared to help Erica in her chase for the dogs.

"Great, they found Eli." Erica rolled her eyes.

Zayn chuckled before pulling a t-shirt on, slightly covering the joggers that hung low on his hips. All of us went out into the hallways, Eli's laughter only increasing as we came closer to his room. Erica stormed into the room, us in hot pursuit.

Eli was in the entertainment part of his room, lounging on one of his many plush couches. The little black dogs barked in joy, crawling all over their owner and refusing to leave him alone. Eli looked like he was on cloud nine, a nice difference from the way he had stormed out of his office the day before.

"Eli, grab them. They need their bath." Erica told the crown prince, who only nodded before standing from his pets.

"Let's go guys. Time to get cleaned up." He simply spoke, and with wonder we all watched as the dogs obediently followed their owner down the hall. Erica's jaw dropped, Eli giving her a quick kiss on the cheek as he left, a smirk on his face.