xix. Scotties and Slow Dances

♡ Odette's POV ♡

I had found Zayn sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting for me when I was finally done exploring the palace. It was dark outside, nighttime setting in. Zayn head jerked up, dark eyes meeting my own as I closed the door behind me. Zayn held his hands out to me.

"Come here." I obeyed him and walked over to him, taking his calloused hands in my own. He looked down at the floor as our hands intertwined, his mind still clearly troubled over Eli's outburst just hours earlier. I released one of my hands to gently run through his hair, kissing the top of his head in an effort to comfort him.

"Eli will get over it soon. He can't hate you forever." I murmured to him softly. I knew it deep down in my heart too. Eli wasn't the type to hold a grudge, and Erica was probably giving her prince the same speech I was just a few rooms down.

"You really think that?" Zayn looked up at me, worry clear in his eyes.

"I know that." I stated confidently, and Zayn sighed in relief, my words easing the burden he put on himself. Zayn released my other hand to ruffle his hair, sighing again.

"I'm so tired, Odette. I don't think I can handle all this stress, I can't be king. This is exactly why my uncle gave the throne up, he knew only Delia could take the burden it would put on her." Zayn whispered, and I shushed him before tilting his chin up to look at me.

"Don't ever say that, you are one of the strongest and bravest people I know. You will be the greatest king the Empire will ever know, I'm sure of it." I told him, watching as he smiled softly.

"You're amazing, you know that don't you?" He whispered breathlessly, standing off the bed and wrapping one of his arms around my waist, and the other hand resting on the back of my neck. I instinctively wrapped my arms around his neck, his eyes entrancing me, rendering me helpless. I was practically putty in his arms.

Zayn pulled me closer, his hand on the back of my neck gently pushing my lips to his. I could do nothing but simply enjoy the feel of his lips moving against mine perfectly. We kissed until we grew breathless, only pulling away to gasp for air, but even then our lips continued to brush delicately, sending sparks through my body.

"We should get to bed, Eli's coronation gala is tomorrow." Zayn whispered, leaving me disappointed. He was such a tease, kissing me like that and then leaving. He knew it too, I could tell from the smirk he gave me as he left to change into some pajamas.

***

I woke up next to something warm, my tired eyes opening to see a shirtless Zayn hugging me to his chest in sleep. My back was pressed against his front, his fingers wrapped gently around my waist. I smiled as I played with his fingers, admiring the little bird tattooed on his hand.

The bed covers were everywhere, some resting on me, others underneath Zayn as he kicked them off to cool himself off last night. I heard Zayn shift around in the covers as I kissed his fingertips, a soft humming sound breaking the easy silence I had woken up to. I felt him hug me impossibly closer as he placed a kiss to the back of my neck. The sensation was tickling, an uncontrollable smile breaking out on my face.

"Good morning, little swan." Zayn yawned, burying his face into my hair. I giggled before turning around, pressing a kiss to his cheek. A lazy smile graced my king's features. "Good morning, Zayn."

"You're so pretty in the morning. Even without all that cosmetic crap you put on." Zayn mumbled, and I only rolled my eyes. However, my eyes soon caught onto what I thought was a black furry throw pillow...moving. I instantly scooted into Zayn, who raised his eyebrows in confusion.

"What's wrong?" He asked seriously, looking at me in disbelief as I pointed to the black fur ball as it moved again.

"That pillow just moved!" I exclaimed, Zayn staring at me for a few seconds before cracking up in laughter.