Chapter 31 - Being A Potato Has Its Benefits

Start from the beginning

When the doctor finally disappeared, Li Yue turned to face his master with an expression laced with urgency.

"Young Master, why would they be looking for Tian Yi now? It's been at least eight years now."

Unlike Li Yue though, Ru Qiang's eyes were as calm as a tranquil pond of ink as he casually glanced in the direction of the door across the hall. Li Yue followed his gaze.

"Is it because of the Young Miss?" Li Yue hesitantly asked. "Because of the legendary strategist?"

"En. The title of the legendary strategist can reignite people's hope and desire for power. How much of an impact do you think her reappearance had on those in the jianghu seeking power, especially since some in each country want to overthrow the imperial families?" Ru Qiang casually leaned against the wall and crossed his arms.

"Quite a lot..." Li Yue admitted.

"Correct." Ru Qiang nodded. A faraway look entered his eyes as his thoughts began to wander away.

How powerful would those in the jianghu get if they found both Tian Yi and the legendary strategist?

Xi'er interrupted his thoughts. "But Young Master, it doesn't make sense. How do you know that the Young Miss truly is the famed strategist? Wouldn't she have been too young at that time?"

There was no answer for a while, making Xi'er and Li Yue look up and search Ru Qiang's expression for any fleeting hint of his thoughts. After a long moment, he finally answered.

"It doesn't matter if it's true or not. The legendary strategist is not who we're looking for. Do not forget our mission."

Li Yue and Xi'er immediately bent down on their knees and replied, "Yes, Young Master!"

Xi'er bowed her head as she asked, "Should I follow Doctor Yi's order and keep watch over the Young Miss?"

"No," Ru Qiang stated. "I will do it. There is something else that you and Li Yue need to do."

His eyes suddenly sharpened as the dim light in the room coated his gaze with a layer of mystery. "You both understand, correct?"

Xi'er and Li Yue quickly cupped their hands and bowed. "Of course, Young Master. Leave it to us."

In the next instance, they were both gone from Ru Qiang's sight. Only the hint of a slight breeze was all that was left of any evidence that they had actually been in the room. Ru Qiang turned around and walked out before silently closing the door behind him.

When he reached the outside of Feng Yao's door, he reached out to give a small knock. A moment passed, but there was no sound of her voice. Knocking a second time, he waited to hear any answer from within but like before, there was no reply.

He finally gave up on knocking and instead reached for the doorknob. As he twisted and opened the door, he hesitantly called out her name.

"Feng Yao..."

His voice ended up trailing off as he noticed that she had already fallen asleep on the edge of the bed. Her black hair was strewn carelessly across her pillow mimicking an image of elegant brush strokes across a flawless canvas. In her hand, she still held the cup from earlier.

As Ru Qiang got closer, he noticed that the cup, previously filled with medicinal tea, was now empty. Glancing behind him towards the teapot on the table, he realized that she had indeed listened to him and drank every last drop of the medicine Doctor Yi left.

At least she finished it...even if I did have to waste a packet of my sugar...

He sighed in regret before turning to study her expression. Her lips were unconsciously curled up into her trademark goofy smile as soft snores lightly escaped her slightly-parted mouth.