BAD NEWS

The next morning, I enter the kitchen dressed in my usual training clothes, sports leggings and a loose black tank top with white converse. My hair is French braided, the tip of the braid ending at the center of my back.
Leo, as usual, is cooking breakfast, so I sit down casually at the breakfast bar in the center of the kitchen and gratefully take the cup of steaming coffee and painkillers for my arm that he hands me.

"Milk, two sugars. Just how you like it" he winks with a smile.

"Thanks" I reply, regretfully taking a sip when the boiling liquid scolds my tongue.

You're probably wondering why I'm letting Leo make me breakfast in my own home whilst I sit here drinking coffee. The answer to that is simple.
I'd rather not be threatened with a spatula for trying to help, again.
"Food's up!" Leo calls, placing a plate of waffles topped with blueberries and extra syrup in front of me. My favourite.
"What's the occasion?" I ask, curiously. Though I pop a bite of the delicious food into my mouth anyway.
"What do you mean?" He replies, taking a seat opposite me with his own plate of waffles, dusted with sugar and lemon juice.
"You only ever make me my favourite breakfast when it's my birthday or you're congratulating me on something" I point out.
"I'm congratulating you on being the most amazing best friend anyone could ask for" he grins widely, causing his eyes to crinkle.
At that, my amusement turns into suspicion.
"What do you want?" I glare.
"Nothing!" Leo defends, putting his hands up.
Unfortunately that also includes his fork and the bite of waffle on it goes flying into my fridge.
"Can't a guy show his love for his pretty much Sister once in a while?"
"If you keep making me food you can show it everyday" I smile. "Also, I'd like an apology."
"What for?!"
"Assaulting my fridge."
"Assaul- oh. Sorry" Leo laughs, turning to notice the waffle now slowly sliding down my fridge door.
I laugh briefly along with him before we finish our breakfast in a comfortable silence and I help wash the dishes.

Afterwards, we collapse onto the sofa and put on Netflix.
"Seeing as it's national 'show Adaline how much of a great person she is' day, I think I should get to choose what we watch" I state, earning a scoff from Leo.
"Please" I say, innocently, looking up at him with puppy eyes and pouting my lip slightly.
"Ugh, fine" he groans, folding his arms.
I smirk, proud of my abilities and put on Doctor Who.
It always makes my day to see Matt Smith on screen.

A few very productive hours later, Leo and I are hastily putting on our jackets with only three minutes to spare until we have to leave. I'm not looking forward to meeting with my boss. The knowledge that he had the power to end my life in a second if I hadn't done the job right is quite nerve wracking. Who am I kidding, it's downright terrifying.
Thankfully, my sarcasm and wit hide those emotions pretty well, the wall of confidence making me appear cunning and far from an easy target.
Despite my own nervousness I am more fearful for Leo. From the unmistakable tension in his shoulders and shallow breaths, this is an important and dangerous mission.

What if he doesn't come back?

"Be careful today, okay?" I say, zipping up my burgundy hoodie.

"Always am" Leo smiles at me, though it doesn't reach his eyes.

Noticing my anxiousness, he pulls me into a hug, his scent of pine calming my nerves.

"Hey, there's no need to worry. I'm a boss at this shit."

I chuckle softly at the arrogance I have all too well gotten used to.

"But just in case I get crushed by a helicopter or bitten by a poisonous snake that just so happens to be wandering around New York, just know that you're my sister and I love you, kay?"

I nod into his shoulder and pull away.

"Okay. I love you too, by the way."

"Of course you do, I make you waffles. Think we need to quit on the soppiness right now, though."