she then went over to the saddle. "someone hit the jackpot" michonne said pulling out some comic books. "no way. awesome. thank you!" carl said looking down at the books and smiling. "i get to read them when you're done" michonne said with a smile. i grabbed onto the horses mouth piece. "carl come on" i said starting to walk the horse.

we walked it over to it's lot and locked it in. once we got it closed, i heard a motorcycle. i saw dad and others behind him in cars. i started to run over and carl followed behind me. "i promised i would find ya before i left" dad said once i reached him. i went over to him and gave him a hug. "be careful" i said. "i always am" he said giving me a kiss on the cheek.

i then backed up and he went off. "going to check the snares?" carl asked rick as we made our way back to the horse lot. "i am. and you're not. stay here and do some chores. read some comics, maybe some books too. and stay with reagan" rick said to carl.

"and you" rick said pointing to me. "i promised your dad i would keep an eye on ya. no leaving the prison until he gets back or if i'm with you" rick said. i nodded. "ok, love you both, i'll be back soon" rick said going off.

carl and i just walked around talking about random things. patrick eventually joined us and followed us around like a little puppy. he tried to talk to us but he clearly got nervous talking to me. it was slightly funny.

"rae?" carl said pointing towards the fence. there was a group of kids yelling at the walkers. "my god" i huffed and then i started to storm over there.

carl joined me and patrick followed behind us. "hi nick!" they were yelling and waving to a walker. "you're naming them?" carl asked in disgust. the group of four kids turned around to look at us. "well one of them had a name tag, so we thought all of them should" the small blonde girl said innocently. "they had names when they were alive, they're dead now" carl said stating facts.

i let him talk because i knew i would probably loose my temper around these dumb pricks. "no they're not, they're just different" the oldest kid said. "what the hell are you talking about!" i slightly yelled. carl grabbed hold of my arm to hold me back but i yanked it from him. "ok, they don't talk. they don't think. they eat people. they kill people" i said walking up closer to the oldest girl. "people kill people. they still have names" the oldest girl said. she's really trying to push my buttons.

i guess you could tell by my facial expressions because carl pulled me back towards him. "calm down" he whispered to me. "they ain't people, and they ain't pets. don't. name. them." i said as calmly as i possibly could. the oldest girl sighed. "come on, we're supposed to go read" she said to the other kids. they then started to walk off. the blonde girl from earlier didn't join them though.

"coming to story time tonight?" she asked patrick. patrick looked over to carl and i then back to the girl. "uh, yeah" he said. "see you then" the blonde girl said with a smile and she then ran off. i scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"i go sometimes. i'm immature. you two wouldn't like it, it's for kids" patrick said defending himself. "i'm gonna head up there. i'll catch you later" patrick said turned around and walking off. carl then turned to me. "you really need to work on your temper" carl said laughing a little bit. "i'm a dixon. comes with the package" i said.

"is it bad that i actually want to check out story time?" carl asked later as we were walking towards the prison. "we can if you want" i said looking at him. "yeah let's go. but let's go in the back way so we won't be seen" he said. i rolled my eyes and chuckled.

when inside the prison, we quietly made our way to the back entrance of the library. we could hear carol talking.

we made our way closer without being seen. she was reading out of a book. that was until the only adult in the room left. she put down the book and began to open the chest that she was sitting on.

"ma'am? should i take watch now?" one of the kids asked. "yes luke, you do that" carol said sending the kid off.

she then opened up her chest and pulled out a set of knifes. "today, we are talking about knifes. how to use them, how to be safe with them, and how they could save your life" carol said sitting the knifes on the floor. the kids looked fascinated.

"ma'am? may i be dismissed?" patrick asked. he really needs to toughen up. "what's wrong?" carol asked. "i'm not feeling very well" he admitted. "sometimes you're gonna have to fight through it. what if you wind up out there alone? you just gonna give up because your feeling bad?" carol asked. "no, i just don't want to yack on somebody" patrick said with a guilty look. "go" carol said sending him off. patrick quickly left.

as carol started going over what they were going to be learning about knifes, carl stood up to make himself noticeable. i sighed and did the same. carol looked at both of us. "please, don't tell rick" carol said. carl then stormed off and i followed him.

once night time approached, carl and i were reading on my bunk, which was the bottom one. he was reading a comic book while i was reading a normal book. that was until there was someone at the door way.

carl and i both looked up and it was dad. i smiled, closed my book, got up, and went over to him. he immediately hugged me once i reached him.

"what's wrong?" i asked. i knew something was up by the way he was acting. "we lost zack" he said. that was beth's boyfriend. i sighed. "you alright?" i asked. he nodded. "you two need to go to bed" dad said looking between carl and i. carl chuckled and then got off my bunk to climb onto his. "ok, goodnight" i said looking up at my dad. "'night baby" he said.