SALVATION (READ WARNING)

Start from the beginning

"Spencer?" I manage to say, its barely there, barely a noise but he hears it.

"Yes, yes its me Amity, stay still, the paramedics will be here any second."

"You found me."

"I said I would, didn't I?" I smile weakly. "Over here." It takes me a few seconds to realise he's not talking to me. I feel myself being lifted onto something and then moved upstairs and then outside.

The light of the sun burns my eyes and I groan in pain, someone covers them with their hands until I'm suddenly inside. I don't know where I am until I hear the siren; I'm in an ambulance.

"Spencer?" I say again. A hand grabs mine.

"Its ok, I'm still here, you're safe, rest." His voice is a whisper, and I manage to open my eyes once more and look at him.

"You didn't say you were handsome when you described yourself." I murmured. I'm not even sure if it was intelligible. The pain medication the doctors just pumped into me worked fast, one minute I'm still in the ambulance, the next thing I know I'm waking up in a hospital bed.

I feel groggy, like I'm drunk.

I look around me, at first I think I'm alone, but then I see a figure sitting in a chair next to my bed. I blink, trying to get my eyes to focus. My sight stops being blurred and I see its Spencer. He's asleep.

How long have I been out?

I try to sit up but can't. My ribs are aching and as I peek under the covers I see they are taped up. I wince as I move my neck, I can feel it's bruised.

"You're awake." I look back to Spencer and see him rub his eyes.

"Hi," I say, my voice cracks and I begin to cough. He rushes to stand up and pours a glass of water, putting the straw up to my mouth for me. I sip it greatefully. "Thank you."

He sets the cup down and looks at me.

"The doctors say that there wasn't any major damage done to your body, only cracked ribs and collarbone. They say you can be discharged in a week or so."

I listen to his words. Where am I going to go when I'm discharged? Who am I going to live with? I have no friends, no family. No family. The only family I ever knew was gone. My beautiful parents. Gone. Because of me.

I begin to hyperventilate. I let the agony of grief grip me, it drags me down as I begin to sob, I acknowledge all that happened in the space of less than a week. Less than a week. It feels like it's been a year since that night.

Spencer edges slowly closer to me, like he's testing to see if I bite. His hand takes mine and squeezes it before letting go.

"I'm going to leave you for a while, I think you need to be on your own." He says awkwardly. I suddenly panic and grab his hand back.

"Please don't leave me" I choke. His face softens and he sits back down, pulling the chair closer and holding my hand tighter.

"I won't, I'm here, don't worry."

My eyes tear up again and I cry silently, with his thumb stroking along the back of my knuckles. A while later the doctors come in and give me another hit of morphine and I'm asleep again soon.

I've been in hospital for two days and Spencer has barely left my side. He stayed with me whilst I had to give statements, go into detail about what had happened to me. I kept looking over at him and I could see his free hand was clenched into a fist and his jaw was tight.

Spencer told me the main guy was called Finlay; his mum had left his dad for a woman. He chose victims that resembled his mothers' girlfriend. Spencer and his team had gone to see the mother and they'd let them know. They went through questioning and Spencer had asked if either of them knew a place that had, or recently had installed, a bomb shelter or nuclear shelter. They had. Finlay's mother been left her fathers house after he died last year, but out of guilt she'd given it to Finlay. It hadn't been put in his name because Finlay said it would be better not to. Spencer hadn't waited for any other details. The team headed straight for the house, where they'd found Finlay squeezing the life out of me whilst the others watched, they got to me just in time.