New In Town ( Trick ) Part 1

And your parents are looking at furniture at a local shop. They have been playfully nagging you about getting a job there since they saw the huge 'HELP WANTED' painted out front. You take it as a joke, until a particular employee catches your eye. So you say, 'fuck it' and go for it.

"Excuse me." You chime with a fake cheery voice. His body jerks back in reaction, and he turns from his unpacking of a box and moves to look at you. He's very clearly, not having a great day.

His name tag shifts into place, and you read it. "Uh, Ryan. Is it?" You smile.

"Can I help you?" His eyebrows bounce up and down, but his eyelids are stuck over his glassy blue eyes. His voice is deep, and it drags with exhaustion.

"Yeah, um. I noticed you the help wanted out front." He takes a hot second, and looks you up and down.

"You wanna work, here?" He asks, skeptical to say the least. You shrug, and stuff your hands in your jacket pocket.

"I've worked retail before."

"You have to move a lot of shit."

"So? It's moving furniture, not rocket science."

"You don't look like someone who could move furniture all day." He remarks. His attitude slowly lifting. You flash a smile.

"Yeah well, with the help of these puppies," you pull your arms out from your pockets and comically flex them with a 'tough guy' face. Then a smile. "Anything's possible." You giggle at yourself. And you take pride when you see Ryan smile, and hear him chuckle softly at your ridiculousness.

"I don't think I've seen you around before." His smile is small, and lingers as he pulls a lamp out of the box and works as you talk.

"Yeah. I'm new to town." 

302 words