Long Nights: McHanzo

"Agent Shimada, please report to Commander Morrison."

Athenas voice echoed in Hanzos room, preventing him from falling asleep.

Annoyed, Hanzo puts his clothes back on and gathers his things.
He had just gotten back from a mission, but he already knew that if the Commander was involved, he'd have to go on yet another one.

Off to another sleepless night.

The doors to Morrison's office slide open, allowing Hanzo to step into the large room.

He immediately notices the all too familiar cowboy hat and robotic arm.

Maybe he had been talking with the Commander, and will leave in a moment.

The cowboy turned, noticing Hanzos presence, and greeted him with a large, shit eating grin.

"Shimada, please take a seat." Morrison commanded without even looking up from his clipboard.

Hanzo does so, trying to ignore the obvious staring from the cowboy sitting in the chair beside him.

"Alright, I'll get straight to the point. There has been some signs of pillaging- or rather attempts to do so- in some of our storage units over in Base 3. I needed someone to do a stake out and you two were the only ones with open schedules." Morrison sits down, setting the clipboard to the side and finally spares Hanzo and McCree a glance. "Shimada, I do realize that you just got back from a mission. That's why I'm sending McCree with you, at least then you could swap for lookout duty and get some rest."

Hanzo nods, "Understood." Honestly, he would much rather go on this mission alone. But orders are orders.

"When will we be leaving?" McCree pipes up.

"Five minutes ago."

~~~

"Why don't I take first watch, Darlin'? You should get some rest."

Hanzo glances at McCree for a moment before focusing his attention back to the storage units.

The two of them decided that a high vantage point would be much better for spotting the pillagers, so they set up camp on top of a building nearby.

Hanzo is crouching over the edge, trying not to break his focus again.

"No. I am perfectly fine." He finally replies.

He catches a slight shrug from the cowboy in his peripherals.

They sit in silence for quite some time. The moonlight glows bright, there are only a few clouds in the sky. Hanzo's eyes grow heavy. He begins to nod off, but manages to catch himself and shake his head.

"So, sweetpea," the sudden sound of McCrees smooth voice makes Hanzo lightly jump. "tell me somethin'."

Hanzo holds his ground, continuing to scan the area.

"Why didn't you tell Morrison to piss off?"

The question catches Hanzo off guard, and he turns to the cowboy, who is now lighting a cigar. McCree's hat is lying on his lap, allowing his hair to flow through the soft breeze.

"What do you mean?"

McCree chuckles, "It's obvious he's been working you half to death, and you're tired. So very tired." He leans his head back and turns it towards the archer. "You need the rest, so why didn't you tell him to shove it where the sun dont shine and get the night off?"

Hanzo stares at McCree for a moment. Why in the hell would this man care whether Hanzo was getting rest or overworked?

"This isn't the time for discussions."

McCree takes a long drag. "Talkin will help you stay awake. If you're really not gonna let me take first watch, that is."

Hanzo pauses again. "..how would you know?"

"Cause I'm just as tired as you are, pumpkin. Its why I dont go on mission's like this alone anymore."

After a moment, Hanzo sighs, scanning the area one last time before finally sitting down beside the cowboy. "Id rather stay awake."

McCree hums. "Is there a reason why you won't let yourself have a break?" He lets out a heavy breath, a large cloud of smoke leaving his lips.

Thoughts flow through Hanzo's head. He himself wonders why he won't slow down, or refuse a mission. Maybe its a distraction? If he keeps busy, he won't have to think too heavily about how his brother, whom he believed was dead for years, suddenly is working alongside him. Maybe-

"You dont have to tell me. It's none of my business really." McCree smiles softly at the archer. He sets his hand on Hanzo's shoulder, pulling him close enough so Hanzo could rest his head on McCree. "Get to sleep Han. I'll keep an eye out."

Hanzo is hesitant, but his heavy eyes happily accept the offer as he leans against McCree and quickly falls asleep.

--

McCree hums a tune, feeling Hanzo's body grow heavier as he falls asleep. He bites the cigar, allowing his robotic hand to move freely. He glances at Hanzo's sleeping face, cupping it gently with his free hand. His thumb softly rubbing the archers cheek.

There hadn't been any pillagers or theives that night, just a cowboy and archer on top of a rooftop. Both sleeping peacefully under the moonlit sky.

Hey guys! Its been a long long LONG time since I've updated! Let alone get on Wattpad. But I do hope you enjoyed this little chapter. I have a bunch of drafts that I havent finished, so I might be coming back to this book! Please let me know what you guys think! (I'm a little rusty when it comes to writing so please forgive any mistakes I mightve made!) Anyways, thanks for reading!