Chapter Nine

Hi everyone! As always thanks for the waiting, and thanks to @flickerfic for her kind help checking out my work. This story is coming to its closing, just a few more chapters, I hope you'll like how it ends. Enjoy!

(Also, are you more into Modern AUs or Western cowboy/outlaw stuff? Just asking 😉)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taylor looked down at her feet sinking in the snow. She was shaking, but at the same time it felt as if the cold couldn't touch her.

The woods around them were silent as they walked towards the camp, a light snow falling over their heads and melting on their coats.

She found the strength to raise her head, quickly getting a glimpse of Karlie at her side. The alpha looked forward, her eyes glued to the track that led to their camp. Her bright green eyes darkened by the heavy thoughts she was for sure going through.

They were holding hands, but it almost felt as if they weren't. The alpha's fingers were intertwined with hers, her stone-cold palm against her skin as her thumb rested on top of her hand caressing it. But somehow it only felt wrong.

I don't deserve this.

She should be angry at me, screaming at me. Not holding by hand as I was the one sacrificing her life.

I don't deserve her.

Taylor stopped in her tracks. Maybe it wasn't too late. Maybe she could have run to West, make him change his mind. She could have been his. She could have been the nice omega he wanted. Or he could have killed her, tortured her, it didn't matter. All that mattered was that Karlie was safe.

She would have found someone else, Taylor knew how other omegas looked at her. She would have litters of beautiful pups with bright green eyes. She would have grown old and become the greatest alpha the world had ever seen. Just not with her. But it was ok, it was ok as long as Karlie could be alive.

Karlie turned to look at her, her head tilted to the side in an unspoken question. Taylor looked in her bright green eyes and at all the love there was in them.

"I'm sorry." she mouthed

"What-"

Taylor tore her hand from Karlie's one, not giving the woman a second glance. She wouldn't have been able to run away from her if she did.

She closed her eyes, a single tear sliding down her cheek as she dived into the woods, twigs and brambles cutting into her skin.

Her heart was broken, and the pain in her chest was so overwhelming that she was scared her legs would give out. Her body was screaming for her to stop, to just fall on the ground and sob out all her hurt. But she couldn't.

She had to run. She had to save Karlie.

There wasn't much snow under the trees, just a few piles here and there where the wood was less thick. Her boots ran over the muddy soil, breaking branches and stepping over the pine trees needles which covered the ground.

She was out of breath, and her throat burned for the effort, but it was nothing compared to the pain in her mind, the flash of Karlie's kisses and smiles who were now burning in front of her eyes.

Goodbye my love.

Taylor brushed away her tears with the back of her hand, as the stream that marked the start of the northern territory came into view.

She reached the river stony bank, the wet pebble clashing against each other under her feet.

This is the end.