CHAPTER THREE

The Powers That Be

~

The paintbrush glided over the canvas, making a wide smile appear onto my lips. Halsey (Young God's) was blasting through my earphones, making me sway my body to the tune. The panting of a young woman stared back at me, I knew it was Marlo, she looked just like me and wore the same clothes I saw in my vision of her that time.

I had made my old bedroom at the Institute into my own personal art studio with the acceptance of Alec of course. Clary sometimes joined me in here, the both of us would either sketch together or do our own things. Alec had moved the bed out of the room so I could place painting easels and storage containers to place my paints, various pencils and charcoal in. It was my place to escape.

I placed the paintbrush into the water, quickly dusting my hands over my paint covered jeans as I turned around, my eyes immediately catching onto Jace's. Oh, how long as he been looking at me for? I quickly pulled out my earphone and smiled sheepishly. "Oh, um, what's up?" I questioned while placing the earphone down onto the table.

Jace bit his bottom lip as he pulled away from the doorframe "I wanna apologise." He sighed, waking towards me.

"For what?"

"For never taking you anywhere that didn't involve Seraph blades." He chuckled "Look, I know I've been preoccupied lately. I'd like to make it up to you." He took my hands into his. "We've been dating for months now, we haven't even celebrated that. So how about we do something normal?"

"Jace, you and I both know you don't consider anything normal unless you come home covered in ichor."

"No, I don't." He smirked, acting proud of himself. I smiled as he turned his gaze back onto me. "But what about you?"

"Well, I could use somebody else to paint." I suggested with a smirk "I think painting from memory is making me kinda rusty."

Jace shook his head, his eyes filled with amusement as I chuckled "Don't worry. You don't have to take your clothes off, well, unless you want to."

"What would you say to dinner tonight?" Jace asked, his face suddenly turning serious, making my smirk turn into a real smile. "Some place mundane. Just the two of us."

"I'd love nothing more." I replied "It's a date, but where are you taking me?"

Jace looked shocked, he didn't have anything planned past this point, ha, silly idiot. "Um, it's a surprise." Yeah, for you too apparently.

"All right." I chuckled "But this doesn't mean you get out of modelling for me."

"Right." He nodded "Rain check." He ducked his head down and kissed my cheek, giving me one last smirk before leaving the room.
.
.
.
.
I pulled the soft, floral blue dress over my body, smiling as it hugged all of my curves, making me feel beautiful. I sat down on my bed and pulled on the laced heels, taking the angels that Isabelle brought them for me weeks ago. I was nervous to say the least, Jace and I haven't really been on a date, well not a real one anyways. I'm not a date type person, they always become awkward.