Part 10

Hawkeyes POV

I punch the last guy in the face. I sense someone behind me and turn around to punch the girl Maximov. "Done the whole mind control thing. Not a fan." I say. I then go to check on the others. Nat is cuddled up in a ball, Steve is standing there looking BEYOND guilty, Thor looked shocked, and Peter is... He has his hands on his ears while his head is hidden in his knees. He's rocking back and forth and seems to me muttering things. I go up to him to snap him out of it, but when I go to put a hand on his shoulder, but he grabs my hand and flips me over.

I just lay there on the ground looking shocked. His breathing is heaving and he doesn't seem to notice I am who I am. "Peter? Hey, Spidey?" I talk gently. He looks at me through his mask and suddenly lets go of my hand. "Huh? Wha..." his seems to snap out of his thoughts and looks around. "Hawkeye? What happened? Are we... ugh" he starts to ask questions but puts his and on his forehead, massaging it. "Mother hover." He says. I can't help but snicker a little. "Hey Pete, mind helping me get Steve and Thor back to the ship. I've got Nat but I need help with them." I ask Peter for help and he nods. "Yea, yea. I've got them you can go. I can carry them both." He says. I look at him in disbelief. "Are you sure? No offense but uh... you don't look THAT strong." I say to him. Peter looks at me, I can't tell what kind of face he's making because of the mask, but he heads over to Steve and picks him up with ease. Steve snaps out of it and try's to throw peter, but he fails and ends up on the floor. "Easy cap, get yourself to the ship while I wake godly locks," Peter says in a cheerful voice. I'm betting it's forced through. No one can be cheerful after what I just witnessed. No kid would be so happy after have a severe panic attack like the one he just had. I decide to ignore it till after we are somewhere safe. "Hey, locksy!" Peter waves a hand in front of Thor, not succeeding in snapping him out. Peter does a dramatic head roll and then punches Thor in the face. Hard. Thor flies back and gets up, angry and shocked. "Good, sorry for hitting you, but I'm not really in a mood to be patient. Let's get the damn quinjet, shall we?" He says in a sarcastic tone.

We all head to the quinjet after hearing a roar from the hulk. We then see Tony flying and trying to capture the hulk. we decide to wait until the situations handled since nat is down. I place nat down on the ground, while Thor and Steve sit it the seats. peter goes into a corner and crawls up the walls. he sits Chris cross and puts his headphones in, all with his mask still on.

we wait a while for Tony to be done with the hulk, but within 30 minutes, Tony is back with a regret-filled bruce. I decided that in order to prevent any further mind tricks, it was time to go to a safe house.

TONYS POV

I walk into the quinjet to see everyone just like Bruce. it seems that the Maximov girl got them all good. Clint seems to be the only one who isn't affected at all by her, probably because she didn't get to him. I go and sit down next to Clint. "where's Peter?" I ask him. he lifts his hand up and points to the corner of the quinjet. I look over to see Peter sitting on top of the ceiling with his mask still on. "hey kid, you know you can take the mask off now right?" I tell him. he looks down at me for a second before responding. "yeah." he says. he then takes off his mask and places it in a pocket somewhere on his suit. I look at his face. his eyes are red and puffy, and his hair is messy from the suit. " you okay?" I ask him, out of slight concern. he nods his head, and puts a headphone in his ear, signaling the end of the conversation. "where are we going?" I asked, directing my attention to Clint. "a safe house. we'll arrive in about... 30 minutes." he estimates. I nod my head and wait for us to arrive at wherever we're going.

-At safehouse.-

peters POV

I hind the fact that I'm in complete agony with what happened. when Tony says I can take off my mask, I play it off like I didn't remember I had my mask on. I put my headphone in my ear so that any conversation can be avoided.

when we land, we get out to see the countryside. a single house with a barn. it's beautiful, but a nightmare to me. there is nowhere to swing. no high skyscrapers to sit on. no loud, busy people yelling at each other. the only part about this that was comfortable for me was that the house looked like a house. A nice home for a family. it looked peaceful.

we all get to the door, Hawkeye leading the way. once we get to the door, Hawkeye opens it, and I realize what this is. I smile at what I know is coming. two kids run up to Hawkeye and call him daddy. it was very sweet. all of the Avengers had looks of shock and surprise on there faces. except for the black widow. she snapped out of her daze, and hugged the kids while they called her " aunty Tasha." I smile again at the sight. a family. I realize that I don't have my mask on, and immediately reach for it, until one of the kids, looks at me. "your Spiderman, aren't you? I'm Cooper. I've seen you on the news. is it true that you stopped a giant lizard?" he asks, walking up to me. "yeah. I did." I answer. he looks at me and his face brightens up. "that's so cool! I mean, its no aliens from space, but it's like fighting a dinosaur! how did you defeat him?!" Cooper asked excitedly. I look up at Hawkeye, who nods his head at me. I bend down and look at him. "the power of science." I say to him. his face brightens again and he grabs my hand, leading me to the couch, leaving the Avengers and the other two family members away from us.

steves pov

peter snapped me out of my trance, but I was still sad about what I saw. when we got to the "safe house,"I was a bit surprised when I saw that clint had kids, but Peter looked happy. he was smiling at the scene. after nat goes it and hugs the kids, the younger boy goes up to Peter and starts talking to him about being Spiderman. the kid leads peter away from us and goes into the living room. everyone was surprised, but we soon got over it. tony and I went out and chopped some wood. we got into a somewhat argument until he went into the barn. after I was done, I went inside to take a break. when I walked in, I was met with Peter heading toward the kitchen. "hey peter." I greeted. he stops and looks at me. "hi." he turns his whole body towards me, giving me his whole attention. " I was gonna go get Cooper and me a drink. do you want anything?" he asked me. "sure. a water." I respond. he nods and walks away. he was still in his suit, and I may or may not have let my eyes wander. NO. bad me. I mentally slap myself. I follow him to the kitchen. "you know, you should change. must be uncomfortable in that spandex." I state. he looks down at himself. "your probably right. I'll go get my clothes from the jet when I'm did getting the drinks. do you mind watching Cooper for like a minute? it doesn't take me long to change." he asks. "I've noticed," I state. I earn a laugh out of him.

"say, captain,"

"Steve, please." I interrupt.

"Steve, why would you want me to join the Avengers? I mean, I don't do any MAJOR crimes, you know?" he asked me. I think before I answer. "you haven't dealt with many major crimes, but the ones you did deal with were impressive. you prevented new york from being infected by a dangerous virus. you stopped a dangerous mutant from destroying NewYork and causing a city-wide blackout. that's why." he looks down and fills a glass of water. "but people still died. whats the point of saving a city if people still die." he asked me. I stay silent. he passes me the glass of water and starts to fill another with more water.

"people die. you cant save everyone. no matter how hard you try, there are always casualties. and from what I heard, only one person died from the lizard attack." I say. " I could have saved him. instead, I chose to stand there like an idiot instead of hurrying to get the antidote in the machine," he says. "Not only that, but I also broke his promise," he added. "Promise?" I ask. He looks at me, but a moment later looks back down and shakes his head. "it doesn't matter now." he says, hinting to drop the conversation. I take the hint." you should go get changed. ill take to drinks to Cooper." I say. peter nods and gives me the glass of water. I take it and head over to Cooper.