Chapter XVII

An Honest Man Also has His Temper

🔸🔸🔸

“The day isn’t early and the route back isn’t short. We should head back first! Second uncle and second aunt, older brother and sister-in-law, take care!” After sitting for a short while after lunch, Sang Wan smiled as she informed them.

“There’s no need to hurry; our son-in-law hasn’t said anything yet!” Sang Pingliang was in the midst of thinking how he should become closer with Shi Fengju, but hearing Sang Wan say that they were leaving, he felt extremely unhappy and used his seniority to give Sang Wan a glare. Speaking in a grave tone, he spoke sincerely, “My dear niece, being your uncle, it’d be best to give you some advice. Now that you’re married, the world does not revolve around you anymore; your husband’s opinion comes first! Otherwise, you might end up throwing our Sang family’s face!”

Sang Wan and Fang Shi silently exchanged glances with each other. Both could see the helplessness in each other’s eyes.

“We should be heading back now. The route back to Qingzhou from here isn’t short. The later we leave, the later we’ll reach home!” Shi Fengju smiled as he strengthened Sang Wan’s position. Giving Sang Wan a glance, he added, “Second Uncle, you’re thinking too much. Sang Wan is a very good wife who is very courteous. My mother likes her a lot!”

The expression on Sang Hong’s face lightened. He smiled slightly and nodded his head.

Sang Pingliang coughed a few times softly. “Then that’s good! I’m not trying to boast here, but it goes without saying. After all, she is our Sang Wan!”

Shi Fengju smiled. “Yes.”

“It’s such a pity that this is so hasty! We could not have much of a conversation!” Sang Pingliang sighed. “Next time then! Next time, stay here for a day or two and we’ll get together again, okay?”

Shi Fengju gave a vague smile and agreed softly. Zhan Huan had already prepared the carriages.

The group left the house. Shi Fengju and Sang Wan boarded the carriage right after bidding them goodbye. The loud noise of the carriages driving away were heard. Before long, the carriage had left the village. After making a turn, the carriage was no longer in sight.

Sang Pingliang let out a deep breath and said, “My eldest nephew.” He turned and was about to continue.

“I’ll have to head back into the house to clean it up. Second uncle and second aunt, if there’s nothing else, please leave! My dear husband, could you head over to the field and see whether the fence is still holding out? If not, do some repairs on it!” Fang Shi rudely interrupted Sang Pingliang.

Sang Pingliang glared at Fang Shi and scolded, “What’s with that attitude of yours? How could you interrupt your elders when they’re speaking? My eldest nephew is a delicate scholar; how can you have him do such labor work! That’d be a disgrace to the educated class!”

“The educated class?” Fang Shi smiled strangely. “Didn’t you say that being a scholar is useless? Instead of holding onto a book, might as well work in the farmland! When did a scholar become delicate?”

Sang Pingliang’s face flushed with anger. He turned to Sang Hong and glared at him as he scolded, “Look at your wife; just look at what she is saying!”