ɪᴛ ᴡᴀꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇꜱᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀꜱᴛ.

You weren't the target. You weren't important and you were painfully aware of that. Which meant only one thing.

"T-Tobirama..."

The Senju seemed uneasy after seeing you utterly terrified. A shadow of worry crossed his face and that was the last thing he did. He didn't even manage to budge when the Uchiha stepped out of the shadows. The enemy moved so rapidly that in the next moment he'd be right behind Tobirama, who hadn't realised yet what was going on... You closed your eyes, gritting your teeth. You weren't ready for this. You couldn't bear to watch whatever was to happen next. If Tobirama dies now, you will avenge him or die trying.

You heard slicing; not even a clang, but slicing. It was a clear cut. Then, a familiar voice grumbled, making you bite your lip and reopen your eyes. "I told you I was a sensor. Don't be such a scaredy-cat," Tobirama sounded very irritated as he was taking the sword out the corpse. He obviously didn't like seeing you scared; it got on his nerves as it made his protective nature anxiously work up. You figured this and did your best to regain your posture for his sake, the only leftover of your fear being your rapid pulse.

He told you that you two had to go back and warn the others; he sensed more Uchihas approaching. "Normally I'd stay and fight back, but I estimate the situation too grave to face them by myself. There is one man present among the Uchiha who I know would beat me easily, so I can't face them alone either way," he uttered quietly as he ran by your side, "and we should focus on protecting your family for now, after all."

"How many Uchiha are there?" You had to know what was the situation like.

"Too many. And in fact, they're pretty close and very well positioned, surrounding us from all sides, so that means they planned this ambush in advance. The one I killed was a mere scout."

"Wait... how didn't you sense them before?"

"I was too... occupied with other things."

"Alright. But how the hell did they find out we're here?"

"There's only one way. One of the people present at your house sold out the information about this party of ours," Tobirama's somewhat indifferent words sent a chill down your spine. There must be a traitor among his comrades and he didn't know who was it.

"Who do you think might be capable of betraying you?"

Tobirama shook his head while saying that he trusts those men all too much to even dare have a doubt in them. You thought about the rude guy who pulled your hand and demanded for a drink. Sheesh, some of them weren't the most polite, but you believed in Tobirama's judgement.

"That only leaves one of my family members as a possible suspect. But that's even less likely."

Tobirama nodded at your statement. "Of course--" stopping mid-sentence, he suddenly yelled at you to move left. Immediately upon hearing his order, you did as he said, perfectly avoiding a couple of shuriken. "Damn, they're way faster than I thought..." Tobirama jumped and turned around mid-air to face the upcoming Uchiha. "(Y/N), you stay behind me!

"Am I not supposed to go and warn the others?!" You stood still, waiting for his response. "...No. Wait for me. It's not safe," he said while running to attack an Uchiha with his sword already out and ready for battle.

No matter what Tobirama thought, you were able to defend yourself. You knew your priorities well enough and you felt as if your legs itched to move in a desperate desire to go back and inform people at your home about the Uchiha who were soon to barge in. It was too reckless to stay here; Tobirama was way too selfish in his wish to protect you. You were so close to your house anyway, you simply had to cross the garden and you'd be there. So you took one last glance at Tobirama who was fending off an Uchiha and you quickly dashed away.