The Beginning of our Journey

Leaves were getting trodden into mush by our own paws. I hated it. It felt gooey, even although we were in by our own fault, which we were used to; especially the mushiness. We found our way unerringly between the green oak trees which dominated that specific part of the forest we were at. I took a quick glimpse around me and noticed a forked group of three birches which cowered around us like imposing giants.

Our journey felt never ending, too. We had been running for days; amid us and on the carpet of wood anemones were the sprouting daffodils and fruited bushes which lay immobile; tolerantly waiting for winter to pass by. I knew that in a month or so the forest would be a picture of white and gold with a tints of blues and mauves.. And when the blues took over, I imagined, II would look over it all alongside Shax, Luna and Seirs as the sky would begin to fall. I yearned more now than ever to undergo the feeling which built up inside my stomach when the originality of the forest returned. Just that momentary feeling of peace and tranquillity being restored when the sun would begin to rest.

The last time I ever done this was with Logan, sitting by the Major Oak tree... I scowled to myself. Logan! What would happen to him now that I had left? Shax said he'd been taken care of, apparently.

When I looked around, blinking and losing my concentration, my paws walked firmly doen the mossy runway. The moon was out and high in the sky, brightening up the night like day. Kallum stopped momentarily. I strained my ears along with his, wriggled my nose but neither of us could smell nor hear any movents or voices. When Kallum sighed in relief, we walked further on. The wind lashed a few branches across my face; I blinked at the un-expectancy of it. Kallum noticed I flinched and stared over at me. His lips curled up up into a grin; I gave him an odd, humorous glance which was illuminated in movement patters by the moon.

A few seconds later, both our ears flexed high. An elk was close by, and somehow, having the feeling of being long starved; Kallum and I chased after it like the wild dog's we were and we brought it down. When I requested to eat a leg, surprisingly, Kallum declined me and stated that it was for something... For someone, he said. It's a way to help us he said... As confused as I was, I ignored it, gulped my saliva down into my empty stomach and followed Kallum farther on through the forest.

It was darker than before when both Kallum and I came to a halt; his nose jerked forward. I stared at the elk which lay on top of Kallum's broad back, oozing out blood from its face.

"Don't think too loud." Kallum instructed. I nodded my head quickly and followed him up and into a minor path. We trudged along the soft, damp moss of the forest path for a few minutes. The tree's soft whispers through the wind was like a lullaby, soothing and warm. It was so welcoming and calm to me. The feeling of security was all around when, abruptly, everything changed. My light smooth steps turned to uneven ridged stomps on the tough, rock path which was filled with twigs. I could no longer hear the tree's swaying movements with the breeze nor Kallum's encouraging little thoughts; for they were replaced with a quiet yet audible meow sound.

Sort of like something... groaning.

"It's fine, Ky!" Kallum reassured me, then he stalked a few steps ahead of me, saying, "We're here."

With that being announced, a wave of relief flushed through me. That was, however, until we went into a deep hatch carve into the ground. It was dark, and completely uninviting and for a pathetic moment I began to feel a little uneasy, but then Kallum chuckled ever so slightly and dropped the now dead elk by his side... The two of us stared into the darkness, the unknown hatch, until a voice, which was actually female, cried out.

"Who has sent you?"

My first impression of the voice was an instant recollection of my inner, superior wolf Ada. Her voice was loud, pitched and she highly patronising. A lot like a female version of Shax.