Marvin at the Psychiatrist - A Three-Part Mini-Opera

I was watching baseball while Marvin was at the psychiatrist (he would only complain if I tried to watch it while he was there), when in walked Whizzer. It might be kinda sad, but I think Whizzer might be my best friend. Only friend, really, I suppose.

"Hey kiddo, can I ask you about something?" he asked as he sat down on the couch beside me.

I turned the volume on the television down before turning to him and answering. "Sure thing, Whizzer."

"Last week when we were talking about love... you said that you thought that your father was... a prick." He paused for a moment, seemingly gathering his thoughts. "Care to expand upon that?"

I turned the television off. I sat, thinking for a minute, before beginning my monologue of an answer. "My father's snide. He's convalescing, and morbid, and completely and utterly dissatisfied. All he does is complain and get angry at me, and you, and Mom. Neither of you deserve that. We go to ball games, and the ball is tossed, but all he can talk about is how handsome the pitcher is. And our team lost. We explore museums, he talks about admiring art. And while we stand together, we stand there looking miles apart. My father says that love is the most beautiful thing in the world, but I think chess is. There are plenty of more reasons to expand upon, but I'm not going to sit here and bore you with facts and details you already know."

Whizzer looked shocked at how open I was. I was shocked myself. But I trusted Whizzer more than anyone in this life.

"I suppose... I suppose that that may well be true, Jay, and I can't tell you what to do... But I think that maybe the two of you might need to try harder with each other," he replied.

I turned to face the television. "I guess so, Whiz."

"Do you wanna finish watching the match?" he asked me excitedly.

My face broke out into a huge grin, and I nodded vehemently, before turning back on the television. I then proceeded to shock the both of us once again when I cuddled up to Whizzer. He froze for a moment before putting his arm around me and pulling me close to his side.

"I love you, Jason, you know that, right?" he whispered to me.

I looked up at him. "I love you too, Whizzer. You're the best."

I turned back to watch the baseball game. The emotionally exhausting talk must have gotten to both of us, because when Marvin came home from the psychiatrist, that's how he found us. He must've been in a good mood, because all he did was take a picture of us with Whizzer's camera, which I found much, much later.

470 words

My Father's a HomoOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara