10

====

  ' He's not here, is he? '

====

One Year Later

It had taken a full twelve months for the plans to be set in stone, for everything to be prepared for what they were to do. A full twelve months for everyone to know what they had to do like the back of their hand. For them to gather everything that they needed to pull it off. And finally, it was being put into action.

Blair rested her back against the boulder, a gun in hand and sweat resting on her forehead. Newt was beside her, another two boys hidden behind a boulder in front of them. She smirked at him when she heard the faint sounds of explosions and the train rattling on its rails as they echoed in the air, the roar of the jeeps engines amongst it as they got closer. Her eyes searched his face as they always did, easily picking up the excitement in his features.

Her head perked up at the sharp whistle that sounded, her feet scrambling to get up as she peeked over the top of the boulder with Newt. A grin lit up her lips at the sight of the still train carriages, Thomas and Vince standing in front of them; eyes scanning around of them. The blonde beside her stepped out from behind the boulder, yanking the gas bottle and tubing up onto his shoulder further.

'Newt!' Vince called.

'All right, come on, let's go. Come on!' He called out to the other boys.

They jogged forward across the short distance to the tracks, Thomas banging on the sides of the first carriage; calling out for Minho. Lots of yells came in reply, but the loudest was Minho's. The boy looked over the carriage, nodding to Newt when he rounded it.

'This one. This one!' He yelled.

But as Blair listened, something sounded off. Something in the voices. Minho's didn't sound as close as the others did. She listened closer, but she couldn't decipher if she was right or not. She shook her head, trying to rid of the nagging feeling in the back of her mind as she cover Newt as he pulled his goggles on. A light chuckle left her mouth at the sight of him with them on, just as it always did anytime she saw them, before she turned her attention to the soldiers running up the tracks.

Thomas and Vince clambered up the ladders after taking the bag from her back, dumping its contents on the top of the carriage. She looked over her shoulder when she heard Newt move, the boy moving to the second attachment on the trailer. She looked back at the approaching soldiers, closing one eye to look through her scope; targeting one man to shoot if it came to it.

'Newt, how you doing?' Thomas called.

'Don't rush me,' Newt replied.

Blair was the first to fire a shot the second a soldier raised his gun, shooting her target in the chest before she moved to her next one. She fired her next shot, missing the soldier as Thomas sent bullets flying from where he was. She shot another one, hitting the guard with great satisfaction.