Chapter 14: Determination Vs. Valium

I woke up a few hours later, Amy was asleep in the chair next to my bed and the room was dark. I shook my head back and forth a few times to hopefully take care of some of the dizziness but to no avail.

                I slowly moved around in the sheets, they were tight around me, reminding me of how I used to get tucked in as a child by my parents. I then waddled dizzily over to a chair at the foot of my bed. On it were my clothes. Quietly, I changed into them, hiding my hospital gown under the sheets in the bed and turning the light on in the bathroom and closing the door in hopes of confusing anyone who came in to check on me for a few minutes.

                I then walked over to the window on the far side of the room and opened it, pausing for a moment in the window when I heard Amy’s voice. “And where do you think you’re going at this hour?” she asked, arms folded, standing in the moonlight at the foot of my bed.

                “H-How long were you awake?” I asked nervously, crouching in the window.

                “Hmm, I’d say long enough to see you strip out of your hospital clothes and get dressed in some normal ones,” she winked, “All that exercise looks to be paying off.” I felt my face turn bright red, not from anger, but from embarrassment.

                I sighed, regaining my composure, “You’re going to that event tomorrow no matter what. I’m going to make you your dress tonight.”

                “And what do I say when the hospital staff notices that you’re gone?” she asked me, raising an eyebrow.

                “I left while you were sleeping,” I shrugged as I turned and jumped into the branches of a tree outside of the window and began climbing down.

                Amy ran over to the window and watched me climbing down, “Be careful!”

                “No promises,” I answered as I jumped down from a lower hanging branch and took off running towards a busy street. I then hailed a cab and told him to wait outside of my apartment building. Upon exiting the cab, Fritz saw me and rushed over.

                “Miss, what are you doing here?!” he asked frantically, walking up next to me.

                “I need to finish that project,” I said, determined. Just as I entered the door, though, the room began tilting from side to side, causing me to rest momentarily on the wall for support.

                “You’re unwell, miss! You mustn’t work in such a state. I forbid it! You need to rest,” he urged.

                I pushed off of the wall and continued walking, “I’ll be fine, Fritz, just know that I was never here.”

                I then made my way up to my apartment, resting here and there and then finally got to my door. It was locked and I didn’t have the key. Damn it! I thought. I then looked down the hall and noticed an open window letting in the cool night air. I made my way to it and then quickly took out the screen.

                “Please, please don’t fuck up,” I breathed quietly as I climbed out the window onto the small stone ledge. From there, I closed my eyes and inched my way around the corner of the building until I was at my kitchen window. I peered inside, everything was cleaned up and put away for once but there on the table were my plans for her dress. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

                I then tried opening the window but realized that whoever cleaned the apartment up had locked it. I closed my eyes tightly, clenched my fist and rammed my elbow into the glass, shattering it upon impact and setting off an alarm. I threw myself inside and rolled onto the kitchen floor, completely missing the counter. I then crawled over to the table, grabbed the plans, crumpled the paper up and stuffed it into my bra and then crawled back out the window.

                Another bout of dizziness hit me and my knees started to feel weak and shake slightly. It was bad enough that my arms felt like they had sandbags attached to them, yet alone the possibility of my legs giving out under me and allowing me to fall fifty feet.

                I closed my eyes again and took a deep breath. I imagined that I was on the runway in Paris and that I was showcasing some of Oscar de la Renta’s newest dresses and accessories. I then ignored the feeling in my arms and legs and forced myself to walk to the corner of the ledge when suddenly, through my closed eyelids, saw a bright light shine on me. I looked down and saw about five cop cars with their lights on below.

                “Miss Pierce, please do not move or jump. Firefighters are on their way as we speak to rescue you,” a cop said through a megaphone.

                “I’m fine! This really is unnecessary!” I shouted down to him.

                “Just calm down! Don’t worry, help is on the way!” he replied.

                “I said I’m okay! Don’t waste resources!” I answered as I slowly rounded the corner. I then took another deep breath, clenched my teeth, and practically ran back into the window in the hallway. Once inside, I ran down the stairs to avoid getting trapped by police in the elevator and left through an emergency exit.

                I took off down the closest alleyway to avoid the fuzz and didn’t stop for a minute. My heart was pounding and adrenaline was pumping through my veins. I could only think about sewing as quickly and as perfectly possible so that she could be happy. I might have been crazy, but if I was crazy over anything, I was crazy over her.