Chapter 11: Perfect Endings To Perfect Days

“Sure it is,” she smiled, shrugging and looking down at her food. I felt some rage bubble up inside of me, some sort of anger, not at her, but at myself. I had to be professional. I shouldn’t even be socializing with her outside of the office. I was an idiot and by doing this I was putting my entire company in jeopardy.

She could ruin me and my life. She could sell lies to the gossip rags about my sexuality, about my life in general. She could say that I scammed and conned people to get to where I am now, that the fabric of my character is cheap and fraying at the edges. She could tell people about my depression. No, I thought, she doesn’t know and will never know about that. No reason for her to. She could get me locked up in an asylum or an institution; she could get me put on meds. Hell, she could say I’m crazy and the magazines like People and Time would believe it.

“I think I should go,” I added, standing up quickly and tossing my napkin down on the table.

“I’m sorry,” said Amy quickly, standing up as well.

“It’s not your fault, it’s mine,” I reply quickly, avoiding eye contact. I then picked up my wristlet and began walking away.

“What? How?” she asked.

“This is unprofessional of me and I apologize. Now excuse me, I have a conference to attend,” I answer, walking towards the street to hail a cab.

“But…” Amy said quietly, stopping in her tracks, “I thought you said you took the day off, cleared your schedule and all that… for me?”

                I pause, guilt filling my heart, “I did. I just… I just need time to think, that’s all.”

                “Well… you could ditch your pretend conference and rent a bike with me? You know, ride around for a bit and think and talk and stuff…?” she asked, looking up at me.

                I sigh and cringe a little bit; this was risky business, “Okay… I guess that can’t hurt.”

                We rode around on our rented bikes for a while, talking about everything from the colors on the American flag to how there’s a strong possibility that mint and vintage items will be big in fashion next spring, but when wasn’t vintage big anyway? The last time I checked whenever someone only makes one of something, that item flies off the shelves faster than anything. It’s the logic of “Oh, it’s a once in a lifetime thing, what a commodity. How original I’ll look in this!”

                Around sunset, we arrived at the Brooklyn Bridge just as the lights popped on, illuminating the area around it in a brilliant and crisp light. We returned the bikes at another shop owned by the same company adjacent to the bridge and then started walking across it. When we got to the middle, a pleasant breeze flowed through my hair and we just stood there, leaning on the railing and watching the sunset.

                “Was it as bad as you thought it would be?” asks Amy, looking over at me, one eyebrow raised.

                I chuckled, “’Eh, on the bright side, I know I’ve burned off all of the calories from our lunch.”

                “You’re perfect the way you are, so shush,” she paused for a moment before adding, “Plus, calories only exist if you count them.” I smile and look at the rising moon opposite of the setting sun quickly disappearing behind the horizon. It was a nice day, it was a pleasant change for once.