29.

Before any of us could even think to move, we were entangled in masses of constricting Shadows. Erridor, with just the click of his fingers, had us all suspended and tied up in the air, flailing to no avail, as he watched disdainfully.

"You know," the evil man thought aloud, "Right now, I could focus my energy and have these Shadows squeeze the life out of you. They'd be like vines, wrapping tighter and tighter until you cannot breathe, and eventually they will cut you like knives until you've been split into a million pieces of flesh."

I winced at his description, struggling against the dark, snakelike bonds. Avyn growled from beside me, held up as well, Shadows wrapped around his snout so he could not harm them.

"But," Erridor chuckled, and I wheezed as the Shadows pressed down on me, "I'm in a surprisingly pleasant mood today. I think I'll have some fun in tormenting you." He sighed and rubbed his hands together. Instantly the Shadows retreated and I fell to the floor, thankfully not breaking anything, gasping for air.

"So, you pesky little rats," Erridor grinned at us with surprisingly sharp teeth.

"Come at me, why don't you?" 

Avyn, without warning, shot a huge blast of fire towards Erridor. He didn't even flinch, just merely vanished in a cloud of darkness and reappeared a few feet away from the scorching flames.

Avyn continued, blasting fire at Erridor, who simply teleported away every time.

"Avyn! AVYN!" I screamed over the sound of his dragonfire. He eventually turned to me, ceasing his efforts.

"It's not doing anything. We have to try and escape," I pleaded with him, and then indicated to the rest of my friends to do the same as we all sprinted towards the wide open door.

A wall of Shadows prevented us from escaping. 

"Shoot," I groaned, turning to my friends. Suddenly, Amber gasped. She pulled us all in as Erridor whistled nearby, clearly not concerned with us.

"Look," Amber murmured, "Clearly using our strength won't work. He's 500 times stronger than any of us here." We all nodded in sad agreement.

"But, we do have some advantages. There are seven of us here, and one of him."

She whispered the rest of the plan, and our eyes lit up with hope.

"As for the last bit," Aiden interrupted. It had been around twenty seconds and Erridor was getting annoyed, but still thought we could never harm him.

"I'm doing it," Amber reminded him sternly.

"No, I shall. He's taken enough from me." Thalia stepped in.

Amber was about to chastise her when Aiden said, "No. He's my father, my responsibility."

"That doesn't make him your responsibility," I argued now, "And besides, you guys shouldn't care. I'm doing it anyways. I will do it to protect Avyn and any other dragon, and don't you dare argue with me because that will just make me want to do it more. If any harm comes to any of you, I couldn't live with myself."

"Don't be the hero, Lana," Amber warned seriously.

"Hypocritical," I teased, but everyone heard how strained my voice was.

"HURRY UP!" Erridor roared, and I felt Shadows slap against my back, shoving us towards the dangerous man. I gave my friends one last warning glare before we set our plan into motion.

Aiden stepped forward, standing just a few feet away from our father. My heart pounded in my chest, scared and angry and tense. 

"Erridor," His voice was calm and yet cold.