7.

Today was the day.

Today was the day when I, Lana Pennington, would get my own dragon egg.

In the last nine days, every single student who had been permitted into Starsky had shown up. Not a single person had been unable to come or refused to. By now I knew almost everyone who would be in my classes.

I fiddled with the schedule, which I had gotten enchanted by one of the sorcerers at SAEDR (a lame spell, I know) so that it would never tear, weather, or be stained or ruined in any other way. It was a Day 1, which meant that my first class was Dragon Bonding. Since I didn't have a dragon yet, this class would be dedicated to finding a dragon egg of our own.

A big smile was stretched on my face. I was so excited.

"Let's go, let's go!" Amber squealed, nearly hopping up and down. 

I quickly checked the time. "Okay!" I grinned, standing up. 

Together, we hurried out of the dorm room and into the hallway. We were speed-walking down the marbled floors when I heard a voice.

"Wait up!"

I turned to see a short girl with long, curly red-amber hair jogging up to meet us. She had green eyes, fair skin, and lots of freckles. She eventually caught up to us, panting.

"Hey," the girl breathed, "Can I walk down with you guys?"

"Sure!" Amber replied sweetly.

"My name's Shana." She flipped her hair back as we walked down the long, winding hallways, towards Room 18. "Shana Fiorina," She added.

"Fiorina," Amber murmured. "I've heard that name before somewhere..."

"Um, about that," Shana seemed a little hesitant to talk about it, but she continued. 

"For as long as I can remember, I've lived with dragons. My dragon parents told me they found me in the forest and couldn't bear to leave me alone. The Fiorina Dragon Clan is a well-known Clan of wild dragons. I'm assuming that's where you've heard the name before," She explained.

"You lived with dragons?" I exclaimed, floored.

Her voice was sheepish as she replied, "Yeah."

"Anyways, what's your name?" Shana changed the subject.

"My name's Lana," I smiled. "And I'm Amber," Amber added.

"Pleased to meet you!" Shana nodded to each of us in turn. 

"You as well," Amber and I responded in sync. We laughed quickly.

"We're here!" I pointed out as we came to a large wooden door with a brass label on it - ROOM 18.

"Let's go get our dragons!" Shana yipped.

---------------------------

"My name is Professor Nunda. For this year, I will be your instructor on bonding with and training your dragon."

There was a chorus of greetings from the excited class of 20 students.

Professor Nunda was a very short man, with a dragon of his own that was a shade of violet. He had a white beard nearly as tall as himself - I wondered briefly if he was even a human, because I had learned that fairies hair grew very, very fast - unlike their bodies.

"As you all know, you don't have your own dragons yet. In this first class of Dragon Bonding you will receive your egg, and your first mission will be to keep it warm, safe, and comfortable." Professor Nunda explained.