Chapter 5: Perspectives

Start from the beginning

You didn’t hesitate. You hugged Blue Diamond, holding her close and letting her cry into your shoulder. Your heart was beating out of your chest. At first she just rested her hands on your shoulders, but after a time she seemed to become more comfortable, putting her arms around you while you ran a hand comfortingly through her long, silky hair.

“We’ll figure it out. Together.”

She looked up at you, smiling weakly.

“Yes. Together.” You smiled back at her, even as tears ran down your own face. “Oh, I am sorry! My aura has that effect on many beings.”

“No, it’s nothing like that. I’m just crying because you’re crying!”

“You… feel what I feel?” She started to laugh. “Now I’m really sorry!” You laughed along with her. When she finally stopped, she was smiling and her eyes were dry. “Thank you for listening. I'm sorry to have woken you. I'll let you resume your rest. And don't be afraid, I won't leave this room.” She walked to the middle of the room, resumed her normal size, and sat against the wall right next to your bed.

“Thanks. But wait, won't you be lonely while I'm asleep?”

“Oh, you mustn't worry about that. You grow quite accustomed to loneliness after a few millennia.” She said this with a smile on her lips but a certain sadness in her eyes. You reached out and took her hand as best you could.

“It doesn't have to be that way… if you don't want it to.” She smiled, and a glow radiated out from her, filling the room. It made you feel happy… grateful… at peace. You now realised that Blue Diamond's power of empathic projection was not limited to anguish, but rather anything she felt strongly enough. She held your hand as she shrank again to human size, then lay beside you facing you. You held her close to you, looking deep into her ancient, soulful eyes. “Good night, Blue. No, wait, I guess there's no day or night out here. I'll see you when I wake up, then.”

“You finally called me Blue,” she observed.

“Sorry My Diamond,” you replied with a devilish smile. It occurred to you that you'd started to develop a crush on a giant alien queen earlier that day, and now, only a few hours after that, you were already in bed with her, albeit in a purely innocent sense.

“Oh, don't tease,” she said, laughing softly, stopping only when you yawned. She hugged you a little tighter, and you melted into her embrace, before you fell asleep staring into her eyes.

“Hello? Hello?” You opened your eyes to find yourself in a white void. “Hello? Can you hear me?”

“Umm, yeah?” you replied. “Who are you? And for that matter, where are you?”

“Hold on a second, lemme just…” There was a sound like an old radio being tuned. Like a hologram, the image of a woman faded into view - the same one you’d seen earlier.

“You! Wait, that still doesn’t answer anything. Who are you?”

“I’m sorry, I can’t answer too many questions. They’re watching us and listening even here. All I can really say is that I’m a friend you’ve yet to meet, and I’m speaking to you from the year 2050. Think of this as a recorded message.”

“Wait, if you’re in the future, and this is just a message of some sort, how do you know what I’m saying?”

“That’s just it, you’ve already said it.”

“Oh. So what are those creepy watching things?”

“The Unseen? Aliens. They’re out of phase with normal space. They flicker at a particular rate. Your peripheral vision captures images more rapidly than your focal vision. That’s why you can see them out of the corner of eye, but not if you try to look at them.”

“Why are they watching me?”

“That’s what I’m here to tell you. That I, well, can’t tell you, but you need to figure it out. There’s something everyone’s been missing. Something that’s been right in front of them the whole time.” She looked over her shoulder at something, then turned back looking anxious. “I can’t talk for long. The Diamonds. The Diamonds are the key! The answer-” There was a crackle of static, and her image flickered for a moment. “The answer is where they all meet! Gotta go, bye!” She vanished, leaving you standing alone in the void. You felt a chill down your spine. You turned to find your face mere centimetres from that of an Unseen. You held your breath, unable to scream. It stared at you blankly for what felt like an eternity until you finally woke with a jolt, finding yourself looking into a much more pleasant face.

“(Y/N)?” Blue Diamond asked quietly, unsure how awake you were. “Are you all right?”

“Yeah, I’m okay. Just a… just a weird dream. I’m just glad you’re here with me.”

“It is my pleasure, sincerely. I can't remember ever being quite so close to anyone before… it feels good.”

“I know what you mean,” you said, hugging her tightly. “Neither of us has to be alone anymore.”